Homemade Granola (in the crockpot!!!)


This is my recipe, and is amazingly delicious! If you are a health nut, or just love granola like I do this is an easy and delicious recipe. And a great way to not burn Granola, as the oven has a tendency to do that. You can mix this up and use different ingredients as you want, but the oats, honey and oil are all necessary.

Ingredients:
10 cups Old Fashioned Oats (do not use quick cooking, they will burn)
1/3 cup Milled (ground) Flax Seed
1/3 cup Wheat Germ
1 1/2 cups Sliced Almonds, could use slivered or even chopped pecans if you like
2 cups Dried Fruit, any combination you like I used apricots and dried cherries
3/4 cup Canola Oil, or any other neutral oil
1 cup Honey
2 teaspoons Cinnamon

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a 5 quart or larger crock pot (if you have a smaller crock pot cut the recipe in half). Stir really well to make sure everything is coated with the wet ingredients. Cook on high with the lid vented with a chopstick or wooden spoon (this helps it not get too sticky and prevents burning). Stir the mixture EVERY 10- 15 MINUTES!!! This is the most important part, otherwise the mixture will start to burn, so set a timer for that. Cook until lightly golden brown, about 1 1/2-2 hours on high, determine doneness by color not dryness, as it will dry more when it's cooled. Once cooked pour on sheets of wax paper to cool, or just turn off the crockpot and let it cool in there. It may not get as dried, but who doesn't love a cooking shortcut?!? And I personally like a slightly more moist granola. Store in an airtight container, or gallon sized Ziploc bags.

Review:
I made this for my Father in Law for father's day as I know he loves granola. It was so tasty (this made enough to fill 2 gallon sized Ziploc bags), I've enjoyed it for breakfast the last couple days and I've heard my FIL is enjoying it as well. I really hope you try this recipe, it's great as cereal with cold milk, or with some yogurt, or a little warmed up milk like oatmeal. 4 stars!

Comments

Popular Posts