Toasted Breakfast Sandwiches

 This is a Farmers Wife Original.

Before I get to my long winded (hey at least I know I am!) post about this wonderful sandwich, I wanted to let you all in on some wonderful blog news! The Farmers Wife is now available on Foodblogs.com as well as Foodbuzz! I hope you'll check it out. For those of us into the blogging world, it's just one more free way to get your name and your blog out there to the world. But as always everything new that comes to this blog, I really credit you guys, my faithful friends, family and my new blogging friends, if it weren't for all of you I wouldn't be at the stage I am with all of this! So thank you! Ok, back to food:

So as I promised in my post for English Toasting Bread, this is the sandwich I made using that delightful bread! Now let me tell you this was not born out of remaking an amazing gourmet sandwich I had once, or anything overly spectacular. I wanted something a little different, and in the form of a sandwich. That's it, (really riveting stuff huh? haha!) this sandwich really is nothing spectacular or fancy, but it is delicious and easy and slightly different from the average throw it together breakfast we all know we do at times. I wish you guys could've seen me in the kitchen the day I decided to whip this up. I was giddy with excitement and laughing at myself hysterically for my last minute dinner. Even more so when the farming hubby said he was on his way home and I suddenly got it in my head to add homemade hashbrowns to the plate, in less than 20 minutes. Haha! I know, I'm a little crazy, but hey this wouldn't be half as interesting if I weren't just slightly weird. *Those who know me are probably rolling their eyes right now, feel free to join them!* Anyway, back to the sandwich itself, it really came together really easily. Other than planning slightly ahead with the bread, this was a very last minute meal. Now you'll have to come back to hear about my adventure in making hashbrowns! (Oh... did I mention I've never made hashbrowns before that last minute decision? hehe!)

Ingredients: this is for 3-4 sandwich's
English Toasting Bread, 2 slices per sandwich, 1/4-1/2 inch slices. (You could use english muffins or whatever slightly thick bread you have on hand)
6-8 Eggs
2-3 Thick slices of Ham, per sandwich (You could also use Canadian Bacon, or regular bacon if you like, but cook the regular bacon before putting it on the sandwich)
3-4 Slices of Medium Cheddar Cheese
2 Tablespoons Mayo
1 Tablespoon Mustard
Pepper to taste
Spreadable butter

Directions:
Heat a frying pan over medium heat, and grease it well. Scramble the eggs, until cooked through and transfer to a bowl. Add the Mayo, Mustard and Pepper to the eggs, this keeps it moist and helps bind it together so the eggs don't fall all over while you're trying to eat the sandwich. (Plus it adds a little flavor.) Spread a small amount of butter on one side of each slice of bread, this keeps it from getting bone dry while under the broiler. On the non buttered side of ONE of the slices, start stacking your sandwich. First layer is eggs, then ham, then cheese. Place on your baking sheet, and place the second slice of toast buttered side up next to it. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Turn your broiler on, and broil the sandwich's until the cheese is melted and the bread is slightly browned, about 2-5 minutes depending on how hot your broiler is. *Keep an eye on them!* Once done, remove from broiler and place the second slice of bread on top (butter side up), and serve warm.

Review:
I told you these were pretty easy! They came together so fast, which is really what you want after a long day. They're the kind of sandwich Rachael Ray would call a BLD (Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner), as you really could eat this anytime of the day. We absolutely loved this. I know it's not the most healthy recipe out there, but when you want comfort food it doesn't seem to matter! You could make this lighter by just using Egg Whites, and leaving out the mayo and mustard. 4.5 stars.

Comments

  1. I don't eat meat, but I could totally make this with veggie ham!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, you totally could do that or even just load it up with veggies like bell peppers. That would be delicious! I hope you enjoy it! Let me know how it is if you try it with the veggies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts