Turkey Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles


This is a Farmers Wife Original.

This has been one of the coldest winters we've had in the dessert in a long time, and as such I've been making soups all the time. And of course after Christmas we had leftover turkey and I just couldn't let that go to waste, so I made soup! I haven't had Chicken/Turkey noodle soup with homemade noodles in several years, and I forgot just how delicious they were! They are different from your typical egg noodles you buy at the store, they're almost more like little dumplings, but I love them that way! For once I made soup without using my crock pot, and it was simple, and so satisfying. Unfortunately I couldn't get the Farming Tot to try this soup, but my hubby and I really enjoyed it. If you have any leftover turkey sitting in your freezer I hope you'll give this a try, it's a great way to use up those leftovers you have right after the holidays, carrots and celery that we all have for various side dishes, and of course turkey or chicken stock. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
5 Cups Chicken/Turkey Stock
2 Cups Water
2.5 Cups Cooked Chicken/Turkey, chopped
3/4 Cups Shredded Carrots
2/3 Cups Diced Celery
1/4 Cup Diced Onion
1 1/4 Teaspoons Poultry Seasonings *more if desired*
1- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder *more if desired*
Fresh Ground Pepper

Noodles:
3 Eggs
1 1/2 Cups Flour
Dash of Salt

Directions:
In a large stock pot heat the stock and water on medium to low heat. Add in the turkey, carrots, celery, onion, and spices. Let it cook til simmering. While heating soup prepare the noodles. In a large bowl, pour in the flour and salt, mix with a fork and create a well in the middle. Crack the eggs in the middle. Using the fork, pierce the yolks and start mixing in the flour. This will be sticky, once it starts to really combine use your hands to form into a ball. Flour your counter or a large cutting board. Turn out the dough, and using a floured rolling pin roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Using a very sharp knife, or pizza cutter, cut even slices of noodle, about 1/4 inch in width. I then sliced mine in half as they were very long noodles. Set aside and let rest for about ten minutes. Then with the soup boiling, drop in the noodles one by one, and let them cook for about 15-20 minutes until cooked through. *There is no need to add extra seasoning to the noodles as they cook in the pot with the soup and absorb that flavor as cooking*. Serve warm with thick slices of bread or crackers.

Review:
Never thought soup with homemade noodles would be so easy huh? Yeah me either, but it was and is an incredibly yummy soup! You can always add/adjust the spices to suit your fancy. The noodle recipe is actually a half recipe. If you double it you can save the extra noodles, just let them dry and then freeze them and they'll be ready for your next soup night. But with how easy this was I just made a small batch for us! 4.5 Stars.

In the process of cutting noodles, now you can see why I cut them in half!

All cut and ready to go into the soup!

Comments

  1. I'm so impressed that you made your own noodles. They have to taste so much fresher than store purchased noodles. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! They were so good, I can't imagine not making my own noodles now. They were so easy, a little time consuming but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts