Sausage Gravy and Biscuits

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits, Farmers Wife Original
Hey y'all!! Oh man am I ever so glad to be back with you! It has been an insane few weeks around this house and I'm hoping that is coming to an end and I will start to get caught up on posts and with y'all! I am so sorry to all my friends who's blogs I haven't commented on, I miss you all and I will be back to stalking your blogs asap! ;-) OK, on to the recipe!

Now I don't claim to be southern, I was born in Tennessee, and have spent some time there over the years visiting family and what not. But I still remember my favorite part of going to visit them was getting good southern Biscuits and Gravy. Yes I know, my memories involve food, see I was always a foodie at heart! ;-) I haven't had good biscuits and gravy in several years, and awhile ago my Sister In Law challenged me to make my own. Sadly I've put this off for far too long thinking it would be incredibly difficult... I was so wrong... *Kick's self in the rear* Both the biscuits and the gravy were far easier than I ever imagined they would be, and the only thing I regret is not making these before. I now feel as if my life has been seriously deprived... hehe! If you like your traditional Biscuits and Gravy without the sausage, than you can just leave it out. But if you ask me the sausage is totally what makes this so yummy. You can totally use refrigerated biscuits, I honestly just wanted to try making them myself. hehe! Enjoy!

Ingredients:
Biscuits: recipe from joyofbaking.com
2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup Cold Butter or Margarine, cut into small chunks
3/4 cup Milk (I used 1%)
1 Egg, slightly beaten
Egg wash topping:
1 Egg, beaten
1 Tablespoon Milk

Gravy: Farmers Wife Original Recipe
1 lbs. Mild or Hot Pork Sausage
1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
2 cups Milk
1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Dash of Cayenne pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F degrees. To make the biscuits first combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl with a whisk. Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut in the cold (must be COLD) butter until resembles coarse crumbs. Add the milk and egg and using a spatula mix until just combined (you want it to be sticky and moist and lumpy). Turn out onto floured surface and knead gently til it all comes together (do not over knead or your biscuits will be tough and not flakey). Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thickness and using a biscuit or cookie cutter cut out your biscuits. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, and brush the tops with the egg wash. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

While they are cooling start your gravy by heating a large skillet on medium-high heat. Cook the sausage first, breaking up into pieces and brown. Once cooked, add the flour to the pan and stir to create a roux. (Note: if your sausage does not leave enough grease, add in a small amount of butter) Once your roux forms, turn the heat down to medium-low and add the milk. Stir to combine, and then cook until thickened, stirring occasionally. Once thick, add in spices. Taste, and add in more spices as desired. Serve warm over biscuits.

Review:
I have to say this one get 4.5 stars. The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars as it is a very heavy meal therefore it won't make it into our monthly rotations (which is what my 5 star rating means), but we all loved it. Including my little Sous Chef, who devoured his portion in about 30 minutes flat!

Happy Cooking!
The Farmers Wife

P.S. This weeks fabulous Friday Guest Poster is the gals from Vintage Vera! You will love this post, so be sure and check back!

Comments

  1. Oh man does this one take me back! Biscuits and sausage gravy were my favorite late night meal as a teenager at King's Family Restaurant. I've never made it myself. I'm sure it would be soooo much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oh my! This as southern as southern gets I think =)...and OH SO tasty! Thanks for sharing your recipe and congrats on 'chalking up' another successful attempt at something new!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH - my most favorite of all of my favorite breakfasts and Sunday suppers! My mother, a southern farm girl, made one heck of a biscuit and sausage gravy. Your recipe looks very similar. I'm sure it is quite yummy! Great recipe, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you made it back. This brings back memories. My parents were from "Southern Illinois", which is "Southern" to me. They used to eat biscuits and gravy, which they loved. I can picture them sitting in the kitchen, enjoying a plate of this. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love biscuits and gravy. I used to work at Hardees and that is kind of how we made it too. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my husband and I would love this! I cant wait to try your gravy recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh YUM! I LOVE sausage gravy and biscuits. Definitely giving your version a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there anything better than waking up and smelling Biscuits? And of course gravy is huge plus :)))
    Welcome back:)) I cant wait to see what will be next!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Biscuits 'n gravy...mmmm...ultimate comfort food!! Looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my word! Can I come over for breakfast?! This has to be one of my favorite meals!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Y'all are so sweet! I'm so glad you like this recipe! It quickly became our favorite. And Steph you can totally come on by! We can drink ourselves into a caffeine frenzy and pork out on this! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I could live on biscuits! These looks amazing! Nothing says homecooking like sausage gravy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts