Grandma M's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies, Family Recipe
 Saturday morning, hard to believe we're here already! This week has both dragged by and flown all at the same time. But I'm glad to be at the end of another week, and for me that means baking time! Between cleaning and laundry which are always on my to do list on Saturdays, I also try to do my baking then as well. This makes for a busy day for this Momma, but also a really great smelling one. (hehe!)

I don't know about y'all but I try my darnedest to keep junk food out of the house, reason being if it's there we WILL eat it... lol! So most of my Saturday baking is breakfast foods for us to eat on Sunday so I don't have to get up before the Roosters to make breakfast for the family (yes I realize how lazy I sound... But quite frankly I like to be lazy. hehe!) so this usually consists of breakfast breads or rolls, or some form of muffin. But this week I decided on Cookies. I haven't made these cookies in over a year (I know I'm a bad Wife and Mom with that confession!), why exactly that is I just don't know. One of the reasons is I keep loosing the recipe (most recently my little Sous Chef admitted to throwing it away...) and another is they're just so dang addictive I can't stop eating them... I mean these cookies are good with coffee for breakfast, alone as a mid morning snack, with my second cup of coffee mid afternoon, and with a glass of milk before bedtime. How do I know this? Because that's what I did yesterday... haha! Here's a little history behind this cookie recipe...

This is actually my Hubby's Grandmothers recipe. One of the first things I remember about meeting my Man's family is their obsession with these cookies. They like them fresh out of the oven, frozen, and would probably eat the dough if Mom would let them. They've been made dairy free, with raisins instead of chocolate chips, for bridal showers, baby showers, and just about anything in between. I still remember the first time I was "allowed" to make/see the recipe itself. I believe I was helping make them for my Bridal Shower, and I insisted on making a batch with Raisins in it instead. I am pretty sure it was considered blasphemy at the time, though they turned out to be a big hit. But I felt so honored to be a part of this legacy and now I get to continue to share this recipe and Grandma M's legacy with my own kids. So I hope you will enjoy these, and who knows maybe they'll become a legacy for you as well!


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup Margarine, softened
1 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Brown Sugar, packed
3 Eggs
1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
4 1/2 cups Old Fashioned Oats
12 oz. Chocolate Chips (I round up to 2 cups)
1 1/2 cups Chopped Nuts (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla

Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, or your stand mixer cream the margarine, sugars and egg until combined. In a large bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking soda. Add the oats to the flour mixture. On slow speed add your flour/oat mixture to the wet ingredients one cup at a time, until fully incorporated. Then add in chocolate chips, nuts (if using) and vanilla, mix until just incorporated. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, and drop by rounded spoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes (times may vary depending on oven and size of cookies) until golden. Let the cookies sit on the pan for 1-2 minutes before removing and cooling on wire racks. These will keep in a Ziploc bag or airtight container for 1-2 weeks (if they last that long!) or in the freezer for a couple months.

Review:
These really are a fantastic cookie. Completely different from the kind I grew up eating, but I really do love them. And I love being able to continue a legacy in my Hubby's family. I give these 5 stars!

Note: *If the margarine is room temp when they go to the oven, the cookies may spread out more and not be as puffy. You can refrigerate the margarine, sugars and egg mixture until firm, then have all the dry ingredients mixed, ready to add while the cooled mixture is still firm.*

 Happy Baking!
The Farmers Wife

Comments

  1. cookies look so perfect..

    New to ur space and absolutely love it.. following u for more wonderful creations..

    Do visit me as time permits..
    http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies look absolutely delish! It is great to keep traditions alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim - I am SO right there with you....I could eat these all! My mom always made choc chip cookies with oatmeal in them and these are certainly a favorite of mine. Thanks for sharing - party food for sure! Enjoy your weekend..and your cookies. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did Grandma M proud with these cookies! They look soo good. I usually add oatmeal to my chocolate chip cookies, or vice versa. That way, they are a little bit healthier:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh those cookies sound perfect..your granny would be so proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cookies look wonderful! Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hubby's grandmother must be so happy that you're keeping her recipe alive. They look fabulous. Cheers to you, Grandma M, and the choc-chip family legacy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone so much! It is so wonderful to see her legacy continuing on through the generations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This brought back memories of my grandmother who made a similar cookie. I wonder if hers were so good b/c of the margarine? I won't have it in the house--only butter, but I am rethinking this. I think my grandma added just a pinch of cinnamon. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so delicious and NOTHING is better than grandma's cookies!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I love a good chocolate chip cookie that has oatmeal in it. They are just so chewy and perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts