Macedonian Style Fritters from Diethood

Happy Friday friends!! I don't know about y'all but I'm SO ready for the weekend! And to kick start your weekend I have a fantastic Guest Poster for ya today. Kate from Diethood is here to share a fantastic recipe with us! Kate is such a total sweetheart, I have really enjoyed getting to know her through the blogoshpere, and adore her site and recipes! She has an unending enthusiasm for food, which I totally love and admire!


Isn't she just gorgeous y'all? *Kate when I grow up I want to cook like you and look like you... is that ok?* lol! Ok seriously though, Kate is such a sweetheart. She is Macedonian, which I have to admit I find so fascinating. Kate is also a Wife and Mom to an adorable little girl! Now I have to say, I love the authentic recipes she posts on her site, I've never seen food quite like it and it all looks amazing! One of the things I love about Kate is that she finds food and cooking to be a passion of hers, and her natural curiosity is shown on her blog with the wonderful recipes she creates. I just know y'all are going to LOVE this recipe today... So without further ado I give you Kate!

__________________________________



Howdy Y’all!

I’ve always wanted to say that! Kim’s blog seems like the appropriate place for it.

HI, KIM! Thank you for having me here!

I am always very flattered when a fellow food blogger asks ME to Guest Post… ME!?! Yep, me!

Thank you, Kim, for this invite – I am so honored to be here. If you were closer, I’d hug you and
kiss you!



In the spirit of Southern cookin’, I decided that I wanted to show y’all how to cook up some fritters. But not just any fritters; these are Macedonian style fritters. What’s that, you ask? Macedonia! It’s my home country! I was born in Macedonia, but moved to the States when I was around 11 years old.

Fritters are a breakfast staple in Macedonia. We inhale these treats like no other. You can have them with powdered sugar and some chocolate syrup, or you can also have them with some feta cheese, or plain yogurt… or you can always just eat them plain.



Macedonian Style Fritters – Pitulici (Pee-too-lee-tsee)

… in some parts of Macedonia these are also called Mekici (meck-e-tsee)

You will need:
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups warm water (about 110 degrees Fahrenheit)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups canola oil for frying pan
Toppings: powdered sugar, chocolate syrup, feta cheese, yogurt, jam, etc…

Directions:
Sift together the flour, yeast, and salt; set aside. With your electric mixer on low (or “knead”), mix together the water and olive oil. Add in the dry ingredients, one tablespoon at a time. Knead together until the dough is soft, but not sticky. If the dough feels dry, add in some water, one tablespoon at a time. If the dough is too moist, add in a bit of flour until you reach the desired consistency. Transfer the dough to a large bowl that’s been greased with some olive oil. Let it rest for 30 minutes. When ready, pinch off some dough and pull it at the sides with your fingers to mold it into a disc, the size of a standard pancake. In a large frying pan place 2 cups of canola oil and heat the oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot enough, (around 370 degrees Fahrenheit), carefully drop in the fritters, one to two at a time, and fry until golden in color, about 3 minutes, flipping only once. Place on paper towels to drain. Serve immediately.


______________________________________


Oh my word y'all... Did you get a load of those fritters? I am in awe and drooling all over the place here... They just look exquisite and the perfect treat... Thank you SO much Kate for sharing this fantastic recipe with us and for teaching us some Macedonian! I really hope y'all loved this post as much as I did, and please go check out Kate's site!

For more of Kate's fabulous recipes, you can find her on her blog Diethood

You can also find her on Facebook and Twitter

Comments

  1. This will be the only time you will ever hear me say this but forget the food and can I look like Kate too. I love Kate's blog as well as yours so this was a treat. Thanks for sharing with us ladies. I really enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look absolutely delicious! I love the disting of sugar and the strawberry topping. I also love Kate's blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kim, for having me! xoxoxo I am honored!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I think these sound great! I wonder if I could add some apple or pumpkin to them?

    I am now a new follower of Diethood!

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good! I don't like frying food since I always burn myself. Maybe I'll make someone else do it for me :P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These Fritters look fantastic! Kate, you did a wonderful job, the recipe is amazing (I'm noting it, and trying it tomorrow. Yum!)

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, you have a lovely blog, and now you have a new follower :) Can't wait to explore all of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kate and Kim! Hmm! These homemade fritters look delicious! I'd love to eat it right after you cook them. Must be so good with sugary toppings. I didn't know fritters are a breakfast staple in Macedonia. I can live in Macedonia happily with these fritters. ;-) Have a great weekend to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello ladies..I think you both did amazing job on this guest post!
    Kate I knew when I saw the pictures that this is what I grow up with:)) I love it, thank you for reminding me to make it this weekend, as my kids now love this too! Great photos!
    Kim, yes I agree she is very pretty lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never had these type of fritters but obviously I have been missing out. Fantastic post-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad y'all love this post so much! Kate is truly a treasure to the blog world! Really loving this post, I think I may have to try making them myself this week!

    And welcome to the newcomers! SO glad you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kate (and Kim) I think I love you both. These look amazing. I've have been craving something fried and I think this fits the bill perfectly. Will you both marry me?? :-P or let me adopt you at least? Lord knows I'm old enough :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kate and Kim, what a great post!! These look so delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hah! Kate, I was just about to head over to your blog...imagine stumbling across you here! Kim, glad you guys are sharing - love this recipe (reminds me of my fave - Italian zeppole)! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're BIG fans of Kate's at Picture-Perfect Meals and especially her Macadonian recipes, and this is no exception. More please!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My family would be all over this recipe! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kate and Kim,, Two of my favorite bloggers in one spot. Kate, I love the fritters and all of the toppings.
    Gorgeous pics as always.

    Kim,
    Another great guest post. Ladies,
    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love Diethood and these fritters sound awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! These sound and look amazing...thanks to both of you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look amazing! Great guest blog - the pics of the food (and you) are great! I'm a big fan of Kate's site!

    ReplyDelete
  21. New Orleans goes east. This look a little like beignets. What a great recipe,certinly something to try for a lazy brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum! Kate is one of my fave bloggers and I love her Macedonian recipes. And yes, she is gorgeous! These fritters look wonderful. Thanks for featuring her!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these!! But:)I have forgotten to make some soon - thank you both for reminding me this wonderful recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Y'all are making me homesick.....sigh
    You can call those fritters by any name you like, I'm just going to call them delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Feel like we've all been transported south - love the look of these fritters, Kate, and just imagine with all the decadent toppings. What a lovely introduction, Kim.
    Super post, girls! Will wake up in the morning shouting howdy y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  26. fritters look delicious wonderfully done

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great seeing Kate over here! Fantastic fritters :) Buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great recipe! Who doesn't love Kate?! I want to be her when I grow up too :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Haha! Love the "y'all" Kate! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts