Zucchini Lasagna

Zucchini Lasagna, adapted from a family friend

Howdy Folks! *teehee* Sorry I just really felt like saying that this morning. I'm still waking up here, drinking my coffee and thinking I can't believe this week is half over! Time sure flies when you spend your days cooking and cleaning. I don't know about y'all but our weather has been nasty here, I woke up Sunday morning to my living room and part of my kitchen covered (And I mean COVERED) in sand... YUCK! I hate sand... And then had to get my rear in gear and spend the day cooking. I was exhausted, and ready to throw in the towel pretty quickly, but we had company coming over and that just wasn't an option. Now what does this have to do with today's recipe you're wondering... Honestly? Absolutely Nothing... HAHA! But since we're all friends here I figured I'd get y'all caught up!

This recipe was given to me from my Mother In Law courtesy of her best friend. About a month ago my In Laws took a big ole trip, and one of their first stops was to visit these friends, the next morning I get a call from my Mom in Law with this recipe solely so I could try it and adapt it! (hehe! She knows me a little to well.... lol!) As I was writing down the recipe the wheels in my brain were already turning with how I wanted to make this, and as luck would have it, I had almost everything already in my house to do so! I will admit I was a little skeptical, I mean it's very different from anything I would normally make but to my surprise we liked it! I couldn't get the little Sous Chef to try it, but I wasn't surprised at all by that. This recipe is very low cal, and figure friendly, and tastes pretty darn good if you ask me. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. Zucchini, peeled and thinly sliced
2/3 cup Ricotta Cheese (skim)
2/3 cup Non Fat Sour Cream
1/4 cup chopped Green Onion
1/4 cup chopped Yellow and Orange Pepper
1 lbs. Italian Turkey Sausage
28 oz. Tomato Sauce
1 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Basil
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Thyme
1/8 teaspoon Sage
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
3/4 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. In a large skillet on medium-high heat brown the turkey, once cooked add the tomato sauce and spices. Let come to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile chop your veggies and slice the zucchini. In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, sour cream, peppers and onion, set aside. Grease an 8x8 pan (or double the recipe to make a 9x13) then start your layers with a thin layer of meat sauce, then top with zucchini, cover that with the cheese and veggie mixture, sprinkle part of the mozzarella and Parmesan on top of that. Repeat layers, ending with meat sauce on top. Sprinkle with remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 30 minutes. Serve warm with a salad and fresh bread.

Review:
I really enjoyed the flavor of this dish, the texture was different than normal lasagna and is it more watery. Overall I'd give this 3.5 stars. I will probably make this again, but it won't go into our normal rotation since the little guy wasn't a fan. *Yet!*

Stay tuned for this weeks guest poster! Kate from Diethood is sharing a fabulous recipe with us this Friday!

Happy Cooking!
The Farmers Wife

Comments

  1. And a great way to use up all the summer zucchini!! Sounds great to me but I know it is an acquired taste for the kiddos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be a great lent recipe if I subsituted the sausage for something non meat. What a great way to use up the zucchini I grew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe for the glut of zucchini at this time of year! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like any variation of lasagna! This looks like a great one! Especially for all the zucchini I got from farmer's market. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum I love everything zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a brillant way to use zucchini~ I love this! I also love your profile picture of you and this gorgeous little prince!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! I'm so glad y'all like it! With Zucchini being in season right now it's just the perfect summer recipe!

    Thank you Pegasus! He's a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great recipe and the perfect way to lighten up lasagna!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love adding zucchini recipes to my repertoire! Thank you for sharing a delicious meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy recipe Kim! Sounds heavenly and awesomely delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! Buried in this post is a Zucchini Crisp recipe that everyone swears is made with apples or pears! Yum!

    http://durrerce.blogspot.com/2010/10/what-to-do-with-all-this-squash-with-so.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great use of zucchini....I might have to give this one a whirl with the number of zucchini appearing in the garden. ;) Wonderful dish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect timing for a zucchini recipe. This would make a perfect dinner, and good lunch the next day. We've had crummy weather here in Seattle for months now. A day of sun, then days of gloom. Oh well. What can you do?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have some sliced zucchini left over from a pasta salad and I have two eggplants that need used. Do you think I could throw those in as well?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eliot, I think that would be fantastic! Sounds like a delicious combo, if you try it please let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great idea! It is like using zucchini instead of eggplant in lasagna. Not a fan of eggplant, so maybe I would like this one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts