Cherry Danish

Cherry Danish, Farmers Wife Adaptation from The Country Cook

Hey friends! I hope y'all had a great weekend, we sure did. We spent most of Sunday just relaxing and spending time as a family. My favorite kind of day, laying in bed snuggling and watching movies, even the little sous chef was up for some snuggle time which is really rare these days!

Often on the weekends I like to whip up a special breakfast/brunch for us as I can't imagine starting out a weekend without a delicious meal. So this week I'm dedicating to our families favorite type's of breakfast/brunch/breakfast for dinner meals! Today I'm sharing this incredibly simple, but delightful cherry danish!

When I made these a few weeks ago, it was admittedly for dinner one Saturday night in hopes of having the leftover's for breakfast the next morning.. Wrong... There were no leftovers... haha! Which is partially my fault, I made a smaller amount than I meant to because I'm a ditz sometimes and forgot the second tube of crescents... haha! But that's ok, these were so worth it! I've seen different variations of these all over blog world, but you know me I just had to make them my own. I made them smaller than most, and with a homemade filling, and almond glaze... Yup, you read that right! YUM! These are great as a part of a brunch, or even as a dessert buffet!

Cherry Danish without Glaze

Ingredients:
2 tubes of Crescent Dough (I used Low-Fat)
2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
Cinnamon Sugar mixture in a shaker

Filling:
1 can of Tart Red Cherries, reserve the water (Oregon Brand or you can use Pie filling)
3/4 cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1 teaspoon Almond Extract
A few drops of Red Food Coloring (optional)

Glaze:
1/4 cup Milk
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar (more if needed)
1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract

Directions:
Prepare the filling first, drain the cherries, and reserve the water. In a medium sauce pan combine the water from the cherries, sugar and cornstarch. Bring to a boil stirring constantly until thick. Once thickened add the cherries, almond extract and food coloring, and using a potato masher mash slightly. Set aside and let cool. Preheat your oven to 350F degrees. On a big baking sheet or cutting board, unroll your crescent dough, separating each triangle, and flattening slightly. Using a pastry brush, brush a small amount of button onto one side of each triangle, then sprinkle evenly with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Starting on the long straight end, roll each one up into a stick, then start to coil it to form a circle, pinching the seams and make an indentation in the middle. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, and add 1-2 Tablespoons of cherry filling in each middle, then bake for 8-12 minutes until the edges are lightly golden and the filling is slightly bubbly. While they cool, prepare the glaze by whisking together the milk, powdered sugar and extract until the consistency is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Then drizzle over the cooled danish's and serve.

Review:
We loved these, I can't wait to try them with a homemade peach filling... They are going to be made a lot this fall! 4.5 stars!

Don't forget to check out the Giveaway going on until this Wednesday! There is still time to enter and good luck!

Happy Baking!

Comments

  1. Happened to come across your blog, this looks lovely... so tempting. Will have to try them out pretty soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I love cherries flavored with almond! These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. delicious looking danish lovely colour with cherries

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup! I will have mine with a cup of coffee. for breakfast or an afternoon pick me up. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be right over. I love anything made with crescent rolls, and these look perfect. Your family is certainly blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww!! Thanks Marsha! That is such a sweet comment, and you're welcome anytime girlfriend! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would go perfect with my coffee this morning, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can definitely see why you didn't have leftovers! These must have been out of this world!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well this recipe sounds kinda familiar! I love them with cherries too. Although, I cheat and just use cherry pie filling. I actually won a little contest with my crescent roll apple danishes. I wish it would have been a Pillsbury $25,000 contest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bran, That is so awesome! Congrats on that! Yeah I know this isn't anything new, but I had to do a homemade filling, lol! Plus I made tiny ones, because tiny things are just cute... HAHA!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so cute amd yummy. I'm bookmarking this recipe, especially because you can use the low fat crescent rolls:) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts