Best Ever Cinnamon Rolls

Best Ever Cinnamon Rolls, Adapted from my Grandma's Cinnamon Twists.

Happy Labor Day friends! I hope that you all are having a wonderful holiday weekend, and for those of you with a 3 day weekend I hope you're making the most of it and having fun!  We only get our standard farm weekend... Sunday. Haha! Oh well, we had a wonderful time yesterday relaxing and chowing down on some fabulous food. And you know me, no weekend would be complete without a delicious morsel of yummy baked goodness to go with my morning up of coffee (I say morning because there is also the afternoon cup, and early evening cup... hehe!) This week I decided (at the VERY last minute) to whip up a batch of cinnamon rolls, but not just any rolls, I wanted to take a recipe that was my Grandma's for Cinnamon Twists and change it up a little and make rolls instead. Sometimes I love my brain.

I know the title says Best Ever in it, I hate doing that, honestly I do. But when my little Sous Chef took a bite and immediately made yummy noises and then promptly announced "These are the BEST EVER Cinnamon Rolls Mommy!! You have to post about them, go take a picture!" I knew that I really had to include it in the title. lol! Pleasing a 3 year old's palate is the hardest thing to do if you ask me, so when you hit a home run with it the feeling of success is overwhelming. We were so pleased with how these came out to be completely honest with you, cinnamon rolls are not something I make very often. Probably about once a year, and as soon as I start I remember instantly why I hadn't made them in a year, because let's face it homemade cinnamon rolls may be good, but they are a royal pain in the rear. But these? Let me tell you, it only took me 30 minutes to get the dough made, rolled out, coated in cinnamon-sugary goodness, cut and in the oven to rise. I'm not kidding. Then after a fairly short rising time they baked... SO freaking easy! I know I have found my new go to Cinnamon Roll recipe, this is the one that will become a new family Holiday tradition. Christmas Morning will be better because of these rolls... haha! *Channeling Christmas time....*

"Sleigh bells ring, are you listening? 
In the lane, snow is glistening. 
A beautiful sight, we're happy tonight... 
Walking in a winter wonderland!"

Yes, yes I did just sing a little Christmas song. Yes I also danced around in my chair whilst singing it. You know you wanna join in song and go bake yourself some of these. I promise I won't tell... ;-) Merry Cinnamon Roll Day! (hehe! and Happy Labor Day too!)

Ingredients:
Dough:
1 cup non-fat sour cream
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast (or one package)
1/4 cup warm water
1 egg
2 tablespoons soft shortening
3 cups flour

Filling:
2 tablespoons soft butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
dash of cinnamon
2 tablespoons milk

 Directions:
Heat sour cream to lukewarm in a large pan.  Remove from heat and stir in sugar, spices, baking soda and salt. In a separate container dissolve the yeast into the warm water to activate the yeast. Once activated add that to the sour cream mixture. Add egg, shortening, and flour to the mixture. Mix well, use hands if necessary. Turn dough on floured board or counter and knead until smooth. Roll the dough into an oblong 24 x 12". Spread the butter over the whole thing, then sprinkle evenly with the sugar mixture. Starting at one end, tightly roll up pinching the seam together. Cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls into either 2 cake pans, or one 13x9 pan. Cover and let rise until doubled in size about 1/2 hour (heat oven to 200 Degrees for about a minute and then shut off, this will be warm enough to raise the dough). Once risen, remove from the oven and preheat to 350F degrees, and bake for 15 minutes or until slightly golden and the center is firm. In a bowl combine the glaze ingredients and glaze the rolls while still warm. Serve warm.

Review:
I will never make another cinnamon roll as long as I live. I've found my recipe, we love it and I hope you will too! They are flakey, but not so much that they fall apart. Moist (thanks to the sour cream) and so sticky and gooey with cinnamon goodness... And the absolutely best part?!? They are ONLY 207 calories a piece... All put together and this recipe get 5 stars.

Happy Baking!

Comments

  1. You've sold me! My youngest is always begging me to bake more cinnamon rolls...so I need to try these soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh these look so good! I love cinnamon rolls but have never made my own - you've totally inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum - I will have to make these next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do look mighty fine! I am sure your son knew what he was talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These will bring anyone to the table, no matter how tired. They look delicious. I will need to try the recipe. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, I once made Paula Deen's recipe and a pound of butter later...Like that your recipe uses nonfat sour cream

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful rolls. The house must have smelled amazing. Sour cream is a great addition to the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I'll have that song stuck in my head, better make these cinnamon rolls to go with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cinnamon rolls look amazing! I def need to try making these. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim - these are a MUST TRY in my pile of recipes. I LOVE cinnamon rolls, and nothing says lovin' like cinnamon rolls from the oven! Hurrah for you and all your creative juices coming up with this fantastic recipe. Thanks -

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim,
    Your cinnamon rolls are gorgeous, but I'm not ready for Christmas carols,just yet:) Your little sous chef is never wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love cinnamon rolls, who doesn't really? I have never actually made them from scratch! I always just buy the frozen ones, going to have to change that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought I already had the perfect cinnamon rolls recipe but one look at your Grandma's rolls and I know I have to try this! They just look so gorgeous and begging to be eaten ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi The farmers wife, my first time here..
    you sound like a very cheerful lady, singing and dancing and humming while baking, cooking and frying.
    glad i drop by, i now learnt how to make cinnamon rolls . yay yay..delicious
    do visit my blog, would love to read a comment from you too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm cinnamon rolls. Nothing better!! Think you can send some my way?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. finger lickin good on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look delicious. I'm always looking for new recipes to make with my nephew. Don't know if he's ever had a cinnamon roll before. These will be fun to make and a nice treat for him to eat and take home. ~ Thanks for sharing, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  18. This will be the next recipe I make for cinnamon rolls. They sound fantastic!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea putting putting cinnamon and nutmeg in the dough. I'll bet it makes 'em even yummier!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my gooddddd! They are in the oven right now... they smell so good, it was a great idea to put cinnamon in the dough as well as the topping!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts