Pizza Muffins

Pizza Muffins, Farmers Wife Original Recipe

If there is one thing I have learned about my son is that asking him the question of "What sounds good for dinner?" can result in some pretty interesting conversations to say the least. The things he comes up with sometimes leave me floored and others hungry, and on the rare occasion slightly nauseous... Haha!! My little Sous Chef is quite the culinary experimenter. He's not afraid to challenge me, and make me try it first.

So the other day when I asked him this fateful question his response was "Um... I want Pizza Muffins!" I was flabbergasted for about at a minute before asking him to describe what his vision of pizza muffins were. You see my little man loves to eat finger foods, anything that he can pick up and eat easily is a winner is his book (and mine too!) so I wasn't exactly surprised at his request so much as slightly repulsed at first. haha! But after talking about it, and thinking about it I figured out that it would litterally be a little pizza made into a muffin. So the taste would still be that of pizza. (Which was NOT what I first thought he meant.) Last night my little Sous Chef and I whipped up a batch of these to go with our family movie night, and I have to say he was right. These are pretty AWESOME! They were incredibly easy to make, and totally delicious. A great surprise for any kid to find in their lunchbox (they're good both cold and hot!) and will make them the envy of the cafeteria! ;-)

Ingredients: this recipe made 16 pizza muffins
Pizza Dough: adapted from Bread Machine Magic
(I made homemade but you can easily use a store bought dough)
This is for a bread machine (but can be made in a stand mixer)
1 Cup Water
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Sugar
3 Cups Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
1/2 Teaspoons Oregano
2 Teaspoons Active Dry Yeast

Filling:
Pizza Sauce
Pepperoni, Sausage or preferred Pizza Meat
Shredded Cheese (I used Cheddar but Mozzarella would be good)
Optional:
Diced Bell Peppers
Diced Onion
Diced Mushrooms
Sliced Black Olives
Diced Tomato
Diced Pineapple

Directions:
To make the dough place all ingredients in the order listed into your bread machine, select the dough cycle and press start. Once the dough is done, turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Preheat your oven to 350F degrees, and grease your muffins tins. Take about 2 tablespoons worth of dough (a small ball) and press it into each muffin well, so that you create a little "bowl" inside the tin, repeat with remaining dough. Place about 1/2 teaspoon pizza sauce in the center of each well, then add your desired toppings, ending with cheese on top. Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is slightly golden and the cheese is melted. Serve warm with more sauce if desired.

Review:
My honest review of these is that they surprised me. We loved these, which was unexpected. They were devoured by my little sous chef, and smelled amazing while baking and were oddly enough elegant for pizza. haha! I'd give these 4.5 stars.


Happy Cooking!


Comments

  1. The name caught my interest, these look amazing... hats off to your son for coming up with these. Can't wait to try them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look totally addictive! Bookmarked..bravo to you son for coming up with these little gems. I am hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made these when I was a kid. Now my kids make them too. We use English muffins cut in half then baked to make them crustlike, and topped with pizza sauce and choice of toppings. Bake again to melt cheese, and viola....dinner couldn't be simpler! Thanks for reminding me of these. They are being added to my rotation as we speak!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute idea, and you could change these up in so many ways! Smart boy you have coming up with this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little. Sous Chef is so clever, just like his Momma He's already creating recipes for you to make. These little pizza are so cute, and I'm sure that they taste delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pizza muffins look amazing, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo to you son for coming up with this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job sous chef..keep challenging your mom!:))
    Kim this is wonderful recipe..and quick! Love the idea and your photo is mouthwatering!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little sous chef sure is creative! I love the idea of these! They look soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These would be wondrful for a tailgate. Football season has begun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your son is completely brilliant! And so are you- these look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pizza muffins are something new to me and I loved your stuffing with pepperoni. The picture looks droolworthy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you have a future chef in the making! I love the sound of these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome idea. These would make brilliant little nibbles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love finger food too! Looks delicious. And it's always nice to come up with an original recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous idea! Who doesn't love finger food??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts