Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Loaded Baked Potato Soup, Farmers Wife Original

I don't know about y'all but once the weather starts to drop I immediately think SOUP! I love my thick and creamy soups with a nice hard roll (or bread bowl) when the weather starts to change. It's something that I have grown to look forward to as an adult, and something my hubby has quickly adapted to. haha! I will say there are some soups he's not a huge fan of that I just could not live without, like my Broccoli Cheese Soup... I couldn't stand a world without this amazing soup, but I've never gotten him to even taste it! (which is kind of ok since that means I get the whole pot mostly to myself! hehe!) However my little Sous Chef seems to have his Mommy's love of creamy soups as he will eat a giant bowl of whatever soup I make faster than you can say "whoopdedoodle" ok... maybe not but, c'mon it was funny!

This particular recipe is an oldie but goodie. I've been making it for years, but recently I changed it a little and found my boys and I liked it even better and decided it was worth re-posting! You may not know this about me but I ADORE loaded baked potatoes... They are full of carbs and bad things for you but taste so darn good (don't worry I only indulge about twice a year). But after making this soup sometimes I have a hard time deciding which one to make when I get those carbolicious cravings... In fact I'm struggling with this dilemma for dinner tonight. haha! So what do y'all think? Soup or Potato? Which should come first this fall? ;-)

Ingredients:
2 Lbs. Russet Potatoes, Peeled and chopped to 1 in. pieces
1 medium Onion Diced
1 Cup Chopped Carrots
1 Cup Diced Celery
3 Cups Chicken Broth (I used bouillon)
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Whole Milk
1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Grated Pepper
6 Slices of Bacon, cooked and diced (I used Turkey Bacon)
2 Cups Shredded Cheddar
Sour Cream, I used Fat Free

Directions:
Peel and chop the potatoes, place in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the Onion, Carrots, Celery, Broth and salt. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. Then add in Milk, Pepper and Bacon, and cook on high for another 30 minutes. Then add in the cheese, stir. Serve with green onion, crumbled bacon and a dollop of sour cream on top *optional is only a garnish*.

Review:
This was incredible easy, and delicious. Smelled fantastic while cooking, and reheats really well too, and freezes beautifully!! I recommend this for a cold night when you want a baked potato, but want to try something new too! Tasted like a loaded baked potato, but in soup form! Yum! 4 Stars


Happy Cooking!


Comments

  1. I am exactly the same..I made three soups today and it wasn't even that cold:))) This one looks like I need to make very, very soon:))) Great recipe!!Have a fantastic night Kim! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love soup...and oh I love potato soup! YUM! How ya doin Friend? I'm gonna slow down one of these days so I can stop by and visit you more often! This is a terrific recipe - I can tell just by reading it. Keep on keepin on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is what I call a comforting stick to your ribs soup!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love soup in this weather! This looks like a thick and hearty one. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does have some wonderful goodies in it and so comforting. This one is a keeper-I have save it. Well done-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK--today was cloudy and cooler than we have been used to. I think there is no way around it--fall is here. Your soup looks great. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This soup look delicious, make me hungry! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE potato soup and yours looks sooo good, comforting and creamy! I'm definitely trying this out. I'm a huge soup lover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Mom used to make potato soup, but not the loaded baked potato soup. I'll have to try the loaded version. We are definitely having soup weather now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't think about this recipe until 2 hours before dinner, so I ended up making it stove top as opposed to the crockpot. It turned out delicious (boiled potatoes, sauteed veggies, added broth and cooked on low for about an hour, then added the rest of the ingredients as listed) Thanks for the GREAT idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You instruct to add the cooked diced bacon to the soup---then cook 30 minutes.....doesn't this make the bacon smooshy? Then you say to sprinkle the bacon (and green onion) on top of the soup before serving>
    ?????? Do both? Or just sprinkle on top to serve (sounds better)?
    Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you add the bacon to the soup? Or sprinkle on top? Or both?
    Please reply.
    CA

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Anonymous, Sorry I didn't respond right away, I've been out of the house for hours shopping. As for the recipe, since I use Turkey Bacon (which is stated in the recipe) primarily no I've never had a problem with it becoming smooshy as it retains it's crispness far better than normal bacon, and yes I personally add it in and on top. As the top is JUST a garnish. Do whatever you feel would suit you and your families tastes best.

    Once again I apologize for the delay, in the future I will respond faster to emails as I am notified of those immediately on my phone. You can email me at: thefarmerswifeblog@gmail.com.
    I hope this helps.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts