Baked Cinnamon Apples

Baked Cinnamon Apples, Farmers Wife Original

I'm BAAACK!!! haha!! I know it's been WAY too long since I've posted. Life has been just slightly hectic recently and I'm still trying to get my bearings back. We had a wonderful, but slightly stressful Christmas and New Years, and while I love this time of year, I admit I am always happy to be done with the stresses of it all. Coordinating everything when you have a little one and 3 Christmas's to attend, things can get pretty hairy. But we survived, and I think are getting back to a semi-normal life. Typically every year I do a reflections post at the end of each year, but I'm behind so you can look for this post sometime next week! For now how about we talk about some Apples!!!

It's really no secret that my family loves Cinnamon Apple recipes. I've been working hard the last few years to recreate our favorites at home, and so far have been somewhat successful... But this year I did it. I achieved what I thought was impossible... I got it RIGHT! These apples turned out to be a HUGE hit with our extended family on Christmas Day as a side dish, and my family alone ate my test run of 4 apples between the 3 of us in one sitting.... lol! These apples are so easy, they're great as a side dish, or on top of your favorite pancakes! I hope you'll give these a try and soon!

Ingredients:
5 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 Cup Apple Cider
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 1/2 Tablespoons Cornstarch

Directions:
Peel, core and dice your apples into 1/2 inch pieces. *This can be done the day before just place in a ziploc bag with lemon juice and refrigerate.* Place the apples in a baking dish. Then in a medium saucepan combine the remaining ingredients, and cook on medium heat whisking frequently until it comes to a boil. Let it boil for about 4 minutes then pour over the apples and mix. Pre-heat your oven to 325F degrees, and cook the apples for about 55 minutes, stirring once or twice to ensure even baking, until the apples are fork tender. *If the sauce thins out while cooking, make a cornstarch slurry of 1 tablespoon Cornstarch to 1 tablespoon of water, mix well and add to the apples and bake for 5 more minutes to thicken up the sauce.* Serve warm.

Review:
I have to say these get a 5 star rating from our house and our family. They were such a huge hit, I'm so glad I made them for Christmas this year! I quadrupled the recipe and cut up all the apples the day before which made this a breeze!

Happy Baking!

Comments

  1. Kim, it's wonderful when you finally nail a recipe you've been working at and the sweetest reward must be the unanimous applause from those trying the dish. These apples look as good as they must taste. I'm marking the recipe for a spin atop some pancakes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, looks warm and yummy! Glad you are finally catching your breath. Hope 2012 is a wonderful one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just imagine eating this over ice cream or in a pie or on pancakes, yum. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your apples up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-51.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally with you on that one - I'm glad the holidays are over as well! Now to just put away the rest of the decorations...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look amazing! I love cinnamon apples, too, but have never tried to make them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts