Cranberry Muffins

 This is a Farmers Wife Original.

Ok, so I lied... haha! I came up with another Leftover recipe at the last minute that was SO yummy I had to share them with you right away! Now I don't know about you, but when I see fresh cranberries for sale, I buy them by the bushel (ok not really but it's funny!), and then stick them in the freezer so I have cranberries all year long, or for last minute holiday cooking. Well I happened to have some leftover cranberries in the fridge from the Pineapple Mango Punch I made for Thanksgiving that I decided needed to be used up. Now I love breakfast foods, it's the ultimate comfort food to me, a nice yummy muffin, some cheesy eggs and a big cup of coffee... *sigh* what could be better?!? I wish I'd had some orange zest to add to this, but even without it, they were delicious and best of all Farming Tot approved!! I certainly hope you will make these soon, for breakfast, a snack or even dinner (my preference)!

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 beaten Egg
3/4 cup Milk
1/4 cup Oil
1 cup Coarsely Chopped Cranberries

Streusal Topping:
3 Tablespoons Flour
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Butter

Directions:
Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with a paper bake cup, set aside. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine egg, milk and oil. Add egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Chop the cranberries and fold into the mixture. Using an ice cream scoop with a release butter, scoop one scoop full into each muffin cup, should fill it about 2/3 full. To make the streusal topping, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and butter in a bowl with a pastry blender, or a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the muffins with the streusal mixture and bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until golden, and firm. Cool in the muffin cups for 5 minutes, remove and serve warm.

Review:
These were seriously delicious. A nice combo of sweet and tart, and a wonderful way to use up those leftover cranberries we all have from the holidays. The streusal topping adds a little crunch and an extra sweetness that is delightful. I was surprised the the Farming Tot gobbled up a whole muffin himself, but he loved it! 4.5 Stars.

Comments

Popular Posts