Orange Chicken with Fried Rice

 This is a Farmers Wife Original.

The last recipe of Leftover week! I can't believe it, I actually had more I wanted to share with you all, but unfortunately this week hasn't gone quite as I'd hoped and we had some internet troubles again as well. A couple of days after Thanksgiving, we had some leftover fried rice from some chinese takeout. That was all that was left, and I really didn't want to waste it, and by now was seriously tired of Turkey, so I decided to come up with a quick(ish) idea for a dinner to use up this rice. I threw some Chicken Thigh Strips in the crock pot, poured some store bought sauce (I mentioned that I felt incredibly lazy this particular day right?), cooked it up and served it on the heated rice. And honestly, it was so yummy I was so glad there was another servings worth of this left for lunch the next day. You could make this with just plain rice no problem, but if you're like me and when you get take out you eat the noodles, and whatever main meat dish you order as fast as possible, and the fried rice they give you just pales in comparison to the other options. I have had so much fun this week sharing some of my favorite Leftover meals, and who knows, maybe we'll do this again! I can't wait for next week though, to share my cookie recipes with you, I hope you'll enjoy them, and come check out Cookie Palooza week on Monday!

Ingredients:
1 Container Fried Rice (about 2-3 cups worth of rice)
1 - 1 1/2 lbs. Skinless Boneless Chicken Thigh Tenders (I would not recommend using chicken breasts for this as they will likely be dry, you can use any type of thigh meat you like)
1/2 bottle of Panda Express Orange Sauce (I found this at Walmart)

Directions:
Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Pour in the chicken, and the sauce (can add more sauce if you want) and stir til mixed. Cook on High for 1 hour, and on Low for 2-3 hours, until chicken is cooked through. Pour the leftover rice into a bowl, and add 1 Tablespoon of the sauce from the chicken and mix. Microwave for 1 minute intervals, stirring after each minute til warm through, and moist (can add more liquid if you want, this is a great tip for re-heating any rice, add a small amount of liquid to it and it will bring it back to life). Serve with Chicken on top.

Review:
This dish is slightly spicy, definitely has the kick to it that Panda Express's Orange Chicken has, but it really was a delight and so easy. The Farming Tot did not eat this, as it was too spicy for him, but the Farming Hubby and I really enjoyed this. Next time I have leftover rice around, I will totally be making this again! 3.5 Stars.

Comments

Popular Posts