Grilled Chicken Salad

 Adapted from The Country Cook

What a week it has been huh? I know I don't normally talk about the going's on of the world because I don't think it really has to do with the food I make. But this week has been full of interesting life events. First with the horrible weather in the south and the flooding, and then yesterday with the Royal Wedding. Now I know for us in the USA the Royal wedding really won't affect any part of our lives, however who doesn't love a great fairytale? I admit I didn't get up at 1am to watch the festivities live (I'm not THAT crazy!), but I did get up at 6am to watch the rerun (because I am a little bit crazy... haha!) and I thought Duchess Catherine looked AMAZING! And those 2 seemed very much in love, which was so special to watch. But I can't help but wonder what food they ate that day... haha! I don't know about you but I remember the foods I ate the whole weekend of my wedding. Kinda crazy I know, but it's true. Which brings me to this recipe.

Now I told you I had another recipe using The Country Cook's Grilled Chicken Skewers, in my Grilled Chicken Pita recipe. But I have to say, this salad is something I would have been seen eating a lot right around our wedding, you see I had gained a few lbs in the months right before our wedding. Nothing major, my dress still fit, but sitting and breathing weren't much of an option, so I kicked my weight loss into gear. Believe it or not but I actually lost more than I had gained and my dress ended up fitting better than it ever had on my wedding day! (Sorry I had to brag just a little, it was a big deal to me! lol!) So I started eating salads daily, and cereal, and pretty much nothing too heavy along with working out. And though I didn't eat this exact salad, it is SO similar to a lot of the ones I concocted back then, and along with the Royal Wedding, eating it just brought back all those memories to me. I loved this salad as it was incredibly easy, totally delicious and while filling it was also still a light lunch, which is great on a hot day!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Chopped Lettuce (I like romaine)
1/2 Roma Tomato, diced
1 Green Onion, diced
Leftover Grilled Chicken, cubed and warmed
Croutons
Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Dressing: leftover sauce from pita's or you can make more with this recipe
1/2 cup reserved Marinade (before adding the chicken measure out 1/2 cup and set aside)
1/4 cup Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt

Homemade Croutons: these were a last minute add as I realized I was out of croutons
2 Slices dried out white bread
Cooking Spray
Italian Seasoning
Garlic Powder

Directions:
Using the leftover grilled chicken, (or if you don't have anymore, cook up a fresh batch), heat it up in the microwave for about 1 minute. In a salad bowl, place your chopped lettuce, tomato and onion. Add the warmed chicken, and croutons and cheese. Then using either remaining sauce from the pita's (or making fresh), pour that on for your dressing. And serve. To make Croutons, dice the dried bread, and spread on a small cooking sheet. Spray lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with the spices. Toss and repeat if necessary. Place under broiler for a few minutes until toasted and firm.

Review:
Simple, essentially turning the pita into a salad. Honestly I think I loved this even more than I loved the pita. It was so easy and delicious. Overall my new favorite salad. And the sauce make a fantastic salad dressing!! 4.5 stars.

Comments

  1. Girl - that dressing sounds really, really good!! And you made your own croutons, how cute are you?!?!
    I showed my hubby the recipes you made with the chicken. He said, "See? I always told you that chicken was good." LOL. He can bring on the charm when he really wants to.
    I just love what you have done with it. And this salad is my kinda salad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I'm so glad you guys like it! Boys are so funny sometimes, But he was right that chicken is awesome! And so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely LOVE this salad - it's what I order most often when we eat out. Now I can make it for myself - so glad you shared....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum...it's been too long since I've done a chicken salad. Such a great dinner item.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this looks like the perfect Summer Salad.

    Looks good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could eat this everyday and twice on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious and very pretty salad! I love that you made your own croutons too! Great post, have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous fresh crunchy salad! Eating lighter just makes you feel lighter and more energized, this is a great salad for that! (Ofcourse I just consumed blackened chicken in a creamy pasta so I'm thinking tomorrow is a salad day ha ha). I just stumbled upon The Country Cook this morning and so happy to be following, some great recipes there!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love salad with grilled chicken! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THis sounds so yummy. Nice and light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm this salad looks fantastic and so fresh! Love your blog and so glad to be your newest follower! :)
    http://cookskinny.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is truly delicious! I can drink up the dressing all on its own!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The salad sounds delish! Now that the weather is warming up I crave salads non-stop. Thanks for sharing, will be trying this one out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts