Bourbon Chicken

Adapted from Macaroni and Cheesecake.
I don't know about y'all but I have a serious weakness for Chinese food! I crave it all the time, could probably eat it almost everyday happily. However the chances of me actually having Chinese is incredibly rare. Generally I get it when my Mother In Law starts craving it and I convince her to take me to lunch. ;-) lol! Anyway, since I don't get this delicious take out very often I have started trying to make my own. I've successfully made Sweet and Sour Chicken, and Orange Chicken that we love and recently I decided to try my hand at another classic... Bourbon Chicken!

For those of you who don't drink alcohol, don't worry there isn't actually any bourbon in the recipe. This recipe is kind of a typical Chinese chicken, sour with a hint of sweet. It's incredibly easy to throw together, and when my hubby got home he said he could smell it cooking while still in his truck outside! And my boys both gobbled this up as fast as they could! I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!

Ingredients:
4-5 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
Olive Oil Cooking Spray (or 1 tbsp. olive oil)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried ground ginger
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 cup apple juice, or orange juice
2/3 cup light brown sugar
4 Tablespoons ketchup
2 Tablespoon cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2/3 cup soy sauce
 Cornstarch Slurry:
1 Tablespooon cornstarch/1 Tablespoon water (optional)

Directions:
Spray a large skillet with olive oil cooking spray (or use the 1 tbsp. olive oil).
Add chicken and cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Remove chicken from skillet, and set aside. While cooking chicken mix together remaining ingredients, minus the cornstarch slurry.
Add sauce, heating over medium heat until well mixed and dissolved. Add chicken and bring to a hard boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered, for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. If you prefer a thicker sauce, combine 1 tbsp. water and 1 tbsp. cornstarch in a separate bowl and add a little at at time to reach desired consistency (I like a thick sauce so I use all of it). Serve over hot rice, if desired.

Review:
We LOVED this!! If you're a big Chinese food fan, you HAVE to make this soon! This was probably the best bourbon chicken I've ever had, I absolutely love this with a big bowl of  rice!! SOOO yummy! 4.5 Stars.

 Happy Cooking!

Comments

Popular Posts