Updated Bourbon Chicken

 



I don't know about you, but I love me some Chinese Food! It's like a comfort food for me. And recently as I've been updating the site, I found my old recipe for Bourbon Chicken and thought to myself, I wonder if I can recreate this in a healthier way! Well... I did it!!

Now, the flavor for this is seriously on point. However the recipe itself does take a little bit more finesse than the original, but trust me when I say it's totally worth it! Even my kids went to town and couldn't tell the difference between the two recipes. I did use something new to me, Date Sugar. I've never before even heard of it but figured I'd give it a try! This is literally ground up dates, nothing else added, and guess what that mean... Yup this recipe has fruit in it! It's such a good well rounded meal, I really hope your family will enjoy it how we did!

Makes 4, 3/4 cup servings

Portion fix container counts: 1/2 purple, 1 red.

Ingredients:

1 TBS. Olive oil
3 cups diced raw chicken
1/2 cup 100% Orange Juice
1/2 Date Sugar
2/3 Cup Liquid Aminos ( or low sodium soy sauce)
1/4 cup Unsweetened Ketchup (primal brand)
3 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 tsp. Minced ginger
1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
3 TBS. Cider Vinegar
1 TBS. Rice wine vinegar
2 tsp. Cornstarch and water

Directions:

Spray a large skillet with olive oil cooking spray (or use the 1 tbsp. olive oil).
Add chicken and cook over medium heat until lightly browned.
While cooking chicken mix together remaining ingredients, minus the cornstarch slurry. *TIP* Date sugar can easily clump up, to prevent this from happening blend it with the orange juice so it's already mixed in the liquid. This will prevent any clumps!*
Add sauce, heating over medium heat until well mixed and dissolved, bring to a hard boil with the chicken.
Reduce heat and simmer covered, for 10-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. If you prefer a thicker sauce, combine 2 tsp. water and 2 tsp. cornstarch in a separate bowl and add a little at at time to reach desired consistency (I like a thick sauce so I use all of it).

If served with brown rice and a vegetable you will need to account for those containers.  

Comments

Popular Posts