Buttermilk Chicken and a Tribute to my Grandma


Buttermilk Chicken, served on my Grandmother's China

Y'all know how I love to make/recreate some of the classic recipes I grew up with from my Grandmother. Some of them just out of nostalgia, and some because I want to try to lighten them up. But this is one recipe I just can't change. Buttermilk Chicken... My Grandma knew what she was doing with this baby. If you're looking for a quick, lowfat dinner, then I suggest you look at another recipe right now, because this isn't it. But this recipe is so very near and dear to my heart and brings back all sorts of memories for me. 

As a kid this was the coveted dinner, the one and only dinner you looked forward to as soon as you knew it was going to be made. Everyone in our family felt that way about this meal, everyone who's ever had it loves it. I remember almost every single time we had company coming over (unless it was last minute) my Mom and Dad would make this up along with mashed potatoes and of course some sort of vegetable and dessert. But this was the star of the meal, the recipe everyone asked for, ate seconds of, and there was almost never leftovers (much to my disappointment... lol!). We had this for holidays, birthdays, you name it and this was usually the meal that was asked for. 

As an adult I don't make this very often. It is kind of heavy, takes more time and energy and planning than I really have to put into a meal, and bakes for so long that some times of the year I honestly can't justify having the oven on for 1 hour. But there is one thing that never fails. Every single year my Hubby and I have been married, I make this for Christmas Eve. And we devour it, my Little Sous Chef could get lost in that gravy (and the first year he had it I'm pretty sure he did... haha!) and for that one night we indulge. 

The picture you see here is particularly special to me, as it is served on my Grandmother's China. As you have probably guessed by now I have always been incredibly close to my Grandparents, in many ways I would say they have been unsung hero's in my life. As a child they were so much fun and spoiled me like crazy (I admit I had them wrapped around my fingers...), and even took me on trips with them to see my Great-Grandmother, though heaven knows why they put up with me on those road trips and my annoying tape recorder where I made them do "talk shows" with me... haha! And as a teen they were an escape from my crazy life. They let me sleep in without bothering me, and there was always fresh coffee waiting when I got up. And no matter what age I've always been able to sit down and have a serious discussion with them. My Grandparents are the couple who will have been married for 57 years this November, and are such a wonderful example to us. I see a lot of my Geeky Farmer and myself when I watch my Grandparents together. They still tease each other, exchange hidden messages with their eyes, and are so in love it makes you smile. So when I got married and my Grandma offered me this china which was theirs, I'm pretty sure I cried. It means so much to me to have this, and I only bring it out when we have Buttermilk Chicken on Christmas Eve. So Grandma if you're reading this (and yes folks she really does read my blog!) know that you are so loved, and thank you for the recipes that have warmed my soul and my stomach all my life, and for the shining example you and Grandpa are! I love you!

Ingredients:
1 Stick of Margarine
1 Quart Buttermilk
1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup (I use lowfat)
4-6 Chicken Breasts (I use boneless, skinless)
Breading:
1 Cup Flour
1 Tablespoon Paprika
1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper

Directions:
Mix together breading ingredients, and set aside. Melt butter and pour into a foil lined (for easier clean-up) shallow baking dish. A 13x9 pan works great. Dip chicken in buttermilk; then roll in breading mixture. Place in the baking pan. Bake on bottom rack in a 425F degrees oven for 20 minutes, then turn chicken. Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until chicken is done and slightly browned. Mix the Cream of Chicken Soup with 1 can of Buttermilk; pour over chicken. Return to oven and heat until gravy is hot, about 5 minutes. Serve with your favorite recipe for mashed potatoes and use the gravy on those as well as the chicken.

Review:
This meal is fantastic! We just love it, it's kid friendly and will wow your dinner guests! It does take some planning ahead, but it is well worth the splurge! 5 stars

Happy Cooking!



Comments

  1. Wow....does this ever look delicious! I will be making this for sure. Do you use boneless skinless chicken for this...or skin on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindi, I use boneless skinless for this. But I think originally it was made with a whole fryer chicken cut into pieces skin on. So it can be made either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Since this is your Grandmother's recipe, I thought it probably used a cut up fryer chicken originally. I agree with you...either way will be good. I'm putting it on my menu plan for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, that looks fantastic! I was surprised when I noticed that the buttermilk I use was nonfat...I never would have guessed! I'm pretty sure that negates the stick of butter! I am definitely trying this dish this week. Good, old-fashioned comfort food to usher in the cooler weather. Thanks for sharing a special recipe from your Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes those vintage recipes are better left unchanged! This does look like a great southern meal for the cooler weather. Glad you Grandmother passed this recipe along so you can share it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks fantastic & great minds think alike we are doing buttermilk fried chicken this week, can't wait!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If grandma's know anything, they know great chicken. And, your grandmother's china is beautiful-- as is the adornment of that fantastic meal. I'm following you now, since Grandma knows a good blog when she reads it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kim, that is so sweet. Love the way you talk about Grandma and Grandpa. They are pretty special, as are you my sweet, beautiful daughter. Love you lots. And yes, everyone should make this recipe. It has been one of my very favorites for as long as I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim,
    Your Grandma's Buttermilk is a wonderful tribute to you Grandma and what she means to you. Her recipe is a keeper.

    My Grandma made the best fried chicken. She double dipped the chicken in an egg mixture of egg and milk, and then in the flour. Then she fried fried the chicken in shortening. Obviously, I haven't made this in years, but your Grandma's chicken brings back the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All "Grandma's" Recipes are filled with love and flavor! Looks mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this is an older post but I had to tell you, I made this for supper tonight. I used skin-on thighs because I had an abundance of them in the freezer from a sale not long ago so I completely omitted the butter. It was delicious! My family asked me to put it in the monthly rotation. Thanks for another great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Making your Grandma's Buttermilk Chicken again for the 3rd time. We love it. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts