Sugar Free Apple Pie



I made this for Thanksgiving this year, and it was a big hit. The original recipe is from my Grandma, and you can use either Splenda or Sugar depending on if you want it sugar free or not. I used a Pillsbury pre-made crust because I had 4 pies to make a little time to do so. But I'll include the recipe for the crust as well. I hope you like it!

For a 9 Inch Pie Pan:
Oil Piecrust:
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3-4 tablespoons cold water

Mix together until it forms a ball. Roll out between sheete of waxed paper. Makes enough for 2 9" Pie Crusts.

Apple Filling:
3/4 cup sugar (or Splenda)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
dash salt
6 cups thinly sliced peeled granny smith apples
2 tablespoons butter or margarine.

Heat oven to 425 degrees (I did 350 with my oven and it turned out fine).  Prepare pastry.  Stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.  Mix with apples.  Turn into pastry lined pan; dot with butter.  Cover with top crust and seal.  (I usually wait to cut slits in the top crust until I have it in place.  The oil pie crust is hard enough to handle without any cuts in it ahead of time!)  Cover edge with 2 to 3 inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.  Remove foil last 15 minutes of baking (This is optional, I left mine on the whole time and it was great!).  Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slips in crust.

Review:
This was a huge hit with our family, and even being Sugar Free it tasted just like a normal Apple Pie! I served it with Sugar Free Whip Cream, you could serve it with a Vanilla Ice Cream, or however you like! I would give this a 4 star rating.



Comments

Popular Posts