Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal with Fruit

This is a Farmers Wife Original. 

Can you believe I still have breakfast recipes to share with you? Yeah me either, I told you I'd been hoarding them! I have be honest and say that I don't have much to say about this recipe, it was honestly born out of my extreme dislike of McDonald's, but yet wanting to try their latest breakfast offering of oatmeal. It looked so good in fact and I had to restrain myself from getting it, because I can't honestly imagine eating oatmeal at a fast food place... Just seems against nature somehow. But I can however use that as inspiration to create my own new oatmeal recipe! Now I apologize that you can't see the delicious oatmeal underneath all that tantalizing fresh fruit, believe me it was amazing! But I was in a hurry to get breakfast on the table as we were heading out to a Tractor Rodeo (what?!? You didn't think that The Farmers Wife was in fact a Farmer's Wife? Well she is, and our farm participates in the rodeo every year!) and once it was all ready for a photo it was to late for me to display the oatmeal a little better. But trust me it was delicious! I can also say that the leftovers warm up wonderfully, and make a nice light breakfast. ;-) 

Ingredients: makes 4 servings of oatmeal
3 1/4 cup Water
2 cups Old Fashioned Oatmeal 
Pinch of Salt
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Granny Smith Apple, diced
1 Gala Apple, diced
Golden Raisins
Dried Cranberries

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Once boiling add in the oats and stir occasionally, cook for about 5 minutes until all the water is absorbed and the oats are soft. Once the oats are done add in the brown sugar, syrup and cinnamon and stir to combine. While the oats are cooking, dice the apples and toss in a little lemon juice to keep from browning. Once the oatmeal is done, divide evenly into bowls and top with the fruit. Add as much raisins and dried cranberries as you want, and serve. 

Review:
This is incredibly easy, but yet filling, healthy and delicious. A great way to start a busy morning. Another awesome thing about this recipe is you can totally mix up the fruit options all you want, you could add dried cherries in, or sliced pear... Oh that sounds yummy! Suffice it to say we really enjoyed this easy breakfast, and I hope you like it too! 4.5 stars.

Comments

  1. We eat a lot of oatmeal with maple syrup and brown sugar and if no one has tried it before - they must! It takes oatmeal to a whole 'nother level. I think I'll add some cinnamon to mine like you did. I haven't had it with fruit yet & it got me thinking when I saw it at McDonald's. I probably shouldn't admit that I love their biscuits and gravy...lol (but I do...hee hee). Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I totally agree, adding in the maple syrup and brown sugar alone just makes oatmeal so much better, and the cinnamon... Let's just say I was one very happy girl while digging into my bowl of oatmeal! Thank you SO much! (And don't worry, I think their Sausage Biscuits will always hold a special place in my heart from my childhood, I just never eat them anymore! haha!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts