Chocolate Cherry Pudding


Slightly adapted from So Tasty, So Yummy.

You know those sudden late night cravings for chocolate? I think almost every woman knows what I'm talking about. You're sitting there, all happy and normal then all of a sudden the urge to eat everything chocolate in the world hits you! Well I had such a craving last night, except luckily for my boys I had it right after dinner so they both could enjoy this wonderful treat! When I saw this on So Tasty, So Yummy, I knew I'd be making it soon. I mean homemade pudding, is there a more perfect little valentines day treat? If you're like me you grew up eating pudding every time you were sick, or eating out of a lunchbox. Now I'm not putting down the packaged stuff, I still love it. But homemade is SO easy, and quite frankly is just more special. I wish you could've seen my little guy as he was bouncing around the kitchen waiting for me to finish making his pudding, this boy LOVES chocolate, and the worst part for him was the waiting to eat it part. We gobbled this up so fast, and are fighting for who gets the leftovers. The addition of cherries was a wonderful treat, a nice subtle change from the typical chocolate pudding. Next time I might add some cherry extract instead of the maraschino juice for a slightly stronger cherry flavor. But this was awesome! I hope it graces your Valentines Day table!

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Sugar
3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/4 Cup Cornstarch
1/8 Teaspoon Salt
2 3/4 Cup Milk (I used 1%, and it was a very creamy smooth pudding)
2 Tablespoons Cherry Juice (from the Maraschino Cherries, if using extract use less)

Directions:
In a medium saucepan combine the dry ingredients. Put over medium heat, and whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon (pudding texture). Add in the cherry juice and mix a little more. Then let it cool briefly, and keep in fridge until ready to serve. *Tip* to cool it quickly to serve right away, put it in an ice bath. In a large bowl add ice and water, then place a medium bowl in the ice bath and pour the pudding into the medium sized bowl. Place that in the fridge for about 10 minutes and serve* Garnish with cherries.

Review:
I was a little surprised that this was so creamy and rich using 1% milk, but I just loved it! If you wanted an even richer texture use 2% or Whole milk. But there's really no need for it, and who doesn't love a low fat treat! This would be a great Valentines Day treat, especially if you have little ones around. And you can make it ahead of time and let it chill in the fridge. 5 Stars.

The Farmers Wife

The Giveaway is still going on until Monday, I hope you'll enter to win this great cookbook. It's a great book for anyone in any stage of life! And if you have a wedding coming up you can buy this great book as a gift on my Amazon Store! Check it out!

Comments

  1. Oh my, my dad would be in love with this! Such a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. This would hit the spot. The cook always gets the leftovers...it's a rule. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Briarrose, Haha! I love that rule! I will have to implement that one in my household immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks delicious, I love cherry and chocolate together. Thanks for your comments on my picky kiddo, I can use all the ideas I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Real puddin' is soooo much better! That with the cherry looks completely yum. I'd steal those leftovers

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so creamy and smooth! A perfect dessert for Vday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes.... unfortunately I know exactly what you mean about the chocolate craving!! I OD on handfuls of chocolate chips during the day. Love the pudding and my kids would love the cherry, what a nice addition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh do I know about those late night (all day) cravings for chocolate!
    I love me some puddin'... and I can see how it could definitely hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have late night, early evening, midday, and morning cravings for chocolate! And I think this pudding would satisfy them all! :D YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's just something about home made pudding that you can't describe until you eat some. Compared to the boxed version, it's just more velvety and fresh tasting. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mother Rimmy, You are so right. I am ashamed to say that I think this was the first time either my husband or myself have had homemade pudding. *gasp* I know! I don't think I will ever go back to the boxed stuff.

    Thanks for all the wonderful comments everyone! You are all SO sweet! I hope that you love this pudding as much as we did. Oh and if you're wondering, we ended up sharing the leftovers. Those boys with their puppy dog eyes are too much for me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts