Raspberry Buckle

 Farmers Wife Original.

It's no secret we love breakfast foods, It is my go to meal idea when I'm tired and don't want to stand at the stove for hours, breakfast can usually be thrown together fairly easily. Now I wish I could say this recipe was born out of something spectacular, but it wasn't. I had purchased these raspberry's for no good reason. haha! They looked so good, and I wanted them, total impulse buy. I can't even tell you all the ideas that ran through my head trying to decide what to so with these delicious berry's, like seriously I was on berry overload. Then it came to me, I love blueberry buckle (for those who don't know it's a coffee cake) but why can't I use a different berry?!? So... I did! haha! And we just loved this. It was so moist, and a perfect blend of sweet and tart. My little sous chef adored it, which is always a good thing. And the Farming Hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed having the leftovers for breakfast the following day! It reheats beautifully in the microwave in just 20 seconds, and that always makes me a happy girl. For those who follow me on Facebook, you may already know this, but I recently mastered cracking eggs one handed. Well this is the recipe that got me started, granted there is only one egg in this recipe, but it was when I made this that I first attempted to do this. Now I think it went pretty well, I didn't find any shell in the bowl, but I did have egg white all over my hands. haha! I've since worked on it, and gotten better, but I owe my attempt to this delicious recipe!

Ingredients:
2 cup All Purpose Flour
2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
Pinch of Cloves
1/2 cup Shortening
3/4 cup Sugar
1 Egg
1/2 cup Buttermilk
2 cups fresh or frozen Raspberries (can also be made with blueberries, or blackberries)

Topping:
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 cup Butter or Margarine

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350F degrees, and grease a 9x9x2 or 8x8x2 in. square pan, set aside. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and spices; set aside. In your mixer, beat the shortening on medium speed for 30 seconds, then add in the sugar. Beat on medium to high speed until fluffy. Add in the egg, and beat well. Add in the flour mixture and buttermilk in increments, alternating them until fully incorporated. Pour the batter into your greased baking dish, and spread evenly. Sprinkle your berries on top of the batter. In a medium bowl, mix your topping mixture and using a pastry blender or a fork, cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle that on top of the berries, and bake for 50-60 minutes, or til golden. Serve warm.

Review:
This is a simple, yet impressive coffee cake, one that is versatile to your tastes in berries, or to whatever you can find easily in your local store. We really enjoyed this for both dinner and breakfast the next morning, and the raspberries had a great sweetness to them from the topping. 4 stars.

Comments

  1. My two most favorite fruits to eat and use are raspberries and lemons. So when I saw this on my blogger dashboard - I had to hurry on over here!!
    This looks good girl!! Oh and that topping...yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I've heard of a blueberry buckle. Sounds amazing and with your touch with raspberries sounds a real treat. I'd eat it at any time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your coffee cake looks delicious, love the idea of the raspberries...perfect with a cup of hot coffee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum....an excellent use for the raspberries. :) I would love a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm, I love raspberries! I'm also jealous of your one-handed egg cracking ability. I've been attempting for some time now...no success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love impulse buys! they lead to great recipes like this one here! this looks super!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! This looks so heavenly! Way better than with blueberries!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love blueberry buckle too and I just adore how you made yours with raspberries. It looks soooo good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum! this looks delicious! And I have some raspberries in the fridge right now... hmm

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a hard time resisting berries too. This cake looks like the perfect home for those raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely...can't wait for the summer when all of the berries are in season again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the name of this plus raspberries , have saved this one,

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so delicious, Kim! Sooooo good, either for breakfast or dessert! Or both. I buzzed it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have frozen blueberries in the freezer, so I might be making Blueberry Buckle soon. Your raspberry version looks soo good, and I love the crumbly topping!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum yum yum. This sounds delish. thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all so much! I love all your sweet comments! I hope you all enjoy it so much, we loved it so much! I'm thinking I might make this for breakfast....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the first time I've ever heard of buckle cake... let the playtime commence :) Great recipe Kimberly looks absolutely delicious . Thank u for the initiation into fruit buckle cake, I think its going to be a regular pleasure in our home from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. cracking eggs with one hand is a big accomplishment :) congrats! i have never heard of buckle before, thanks for sharing. this looks graat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love buckles!!! Raspberry is the one fruit I have yet to try. Will definitely be trying this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks so good~ I have some blackberries in the refrigerator right now that would be perfect for this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love raspberries and try to use it as much as possible lately. I've never had raspberry buckle but soon that's about to change. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts