Grilled Chicken Pita's

 Adapted from The Country Cook

Hey y'all! How are you this fine morning? Yup, I'm actually in a fairly good mood this morning, coffee's still warm and yummy, my little Sous Chef is being good, chilling at the moment. Except for the not so bright spot of needing to go the grocery store later (yuck!), so far it's been a great day! Which is why I wanted to share this recipe with you! I love spring foods, the salads that everyone starts putting together, the fresh fruits, (hate the allergies that come along with spring, but LOVE the food!) and I have to say this meal had a very "Springy" feel to it. Now you've heard me talk about the Fabulous Brandie over at The Country Cook, she is the sweetest and a great friend, and a superb cook. Well a couple months ago she posted  recipe for Grilled Chicken Skewers, and ever since I've been eyeing them, just waiting for the right opportunity to try them. (By the way I've made a few things from her blog already and have loved every single thing I've tried!) Well such an opportunity came last week, but since I couldn't find skewers at my store, and I knew I wanted to eat more than just chicken I decided to turn it into a pita sandwich... Oh baby were they good!! Now my hubby says it's "Chick Food" so he wasn't overly thrilled, but he did say that the chicken itself was awesome. And I have to agree, the chicken was so juicy and delicious. And my house smelled AMAZING while these were cooking up on my grill pan. I hope you'll give these a try and check out Brandie's site too, oh and this isn't the last you'll be seeing of this chicken recipe... There's something else I cooked up with it coming later this week! ;-)

Ingredients:
For the marinade:
3/4 cup Olive Oil
2/3 cups Soy Sauce
1/2 cups Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice (about 2 lemons)
1/4 cups Prepared Mustard (Dijon or Yellow, I used Dijon)
1/4 cups Worcestershire Sauce
2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper
4-5 Chicken Breasts cut into strips, or Chicken Tenderloins

Sauce:
1/2 cup reserved Marinade (before adding the chicken measure out 1/2 cup and set aside)
1/4 cup Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt

Pita Filling:
2 Whole Wheat Pita Breads
Lettuce
Tomato
Green Onion, diced
Chicken
Sauce

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine marinade ingredients and whisk til combined. Measure out 1/2 cup of marinade and set aside to make the sauce. Add the chicken strips to the bowl, cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least 4-5 hours. In a small bowl combine sour cream and reserved marinade, whisk to combine. Add more or less marinade/sour cream to get desired taste and texture. Keep in the fridge til ready to assemble. Using a grill or grill pan, heat on medium heat and grill your marinated chicken strips. About 5-8 minutes per side, or until juices run clear. After the chicken is cooked, you're ready to assemble your sandwich. Slice each Pita in half and open up the little pocket. Place you lettuce inside and drizzle a little sauce down the middle. Add in your Tomatoes, Chicken and Green Onion, top with a little more sauce, and serve.

Look at the juicy Chicken grilling up!!! YUM!
Review:
Personally I'd give this 4 stars because I (as a chick) just LOVED it. My hubby would only give it probably 3 stars. Would eat it again, but not his favorite overall, however the chicken itself he gave 5 stars. So if you have a hubby who's not big on Pita Breads, or doesn't like something "Chick Foodish" than maybe save this for a ladies lunch or just for yourself. I personally plan on making this for a lunch pretty soon! Thanks Bran!

Comments

  1. Awww Kim - so glad you liked the grilled chicken recipe. And how amazing to see that you took that chicken and made it into an amazing pita sandwich. Such a great idea, you are so inventive! I know a lot of Chicks who would love this sandwich. Thank you for the shout-out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delish. You once again make me hungry :) I have left and award for you. You can pick it up at http://forevernowandthen.com/2011/04/28/award/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally picture myself on a nice warm summer day (if it ever gets here) eating this grilled yuminess and sipping ice tea. :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness....that looks seriously good!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just LOVE Brandie too! I love what you have done with her skewer recipe! Yum! Thanks for stopping by my blog : ) I'm your newest follower. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at the grilled chicken photo: it does look incredibly juicy. Love the idea of putting it in pita breads. Haven't had that kind of plate in years, so thanks for such great inspiration to change for lunch. I also adore Brandie and her recipes. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great meal....love reading your posts, you have very nice and fun way of building the story:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pita sandwiches (although I don't eat chicken) and Spring is the perfect time for trying them out, so many fresh veggies to choose from and fill the pita pockets.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts