Hamburger Buns

 Original Recipe The Homesteading Housewife

For once this is not a recipe I created, but I have to feature it for you because of the story behind them. For those of you who know me well, you know that I absolutely HATE shopping. I know, I should have my girl card revoked for that statement. But shopping, especially with a toddler is not my idea of a fun day, even if it's just running to the store for one item, I will go out of my way to make sure that NEVER happens (do you know how difficult it is to put socks and shoes on a 2 1/2 year old?!?). Well... when I decided to make the BBQ Beef Sammies a few weeks ago, I quickly realized after throwing my creation into the crock pot that I did not have any buns or rolls of any sort in the house. After about 5 minutes of searching the web I found this recipe for Hamburger buns made in the bread machine! Well that right there told me pretty much all I needed to know. But honestly the story doesn't end there... haha!

Background for ya, I spent pretty much that whole day cooking, I did get some laundry and other things done, but cooking and doing dishes was the largest part of my day. My house smelled amazing, with the beef cooking, and the rolls baking, I swear my husband was salivating by the time he walked up the driveway. But then, he came inside and the following conversation ensued:

Me: "Hi babe, dinner's almost ready!! Doesn't it smell good?"
Hubby: "Hey, yeah it looks great. Where'd you get the rolls?"
Me: "Oh, I made them. I was too lazy to go to the store."
Hubby: "Wait... what? You were too LAZY to go to the store to buy pre made rolls... so instead you spent all day making them from scratch?!?!?!"
Me: "Um... Yeah... I'm awesome like that!"
Hubby: "That's one way to say you're incredibly weird..."

Haha! I kid you not, that conversation then proceeded to make it's way to my Hubby's family out on the farm, his co-workers, my family, and then even onto Facebook (my SIL made sure the world knew how insane I was lol!) and now the blog. I've had people text and tell me how silly I am for being "Lazy", and that I need to change my definition of lazy, and all of this in just the last 2 weeks. It's been quite interesting, I've apparently become a legend for my "laziness" and I'm ok with that, because you know what?!? These rolls were worth the effort. I may never buy pre-made rolls again, and I think these would even be incredible dinner rolls too. Ok, now who's going to go posting about the crazy Farmer's Wife who needs to re-evaluate what being lazy means? Bahahaha!!!

Ingredients:

3 3/4 Cups Bread Flour
1 1/4 Cups Milk, Slightly Warmed (I used 1%)
1/4 Cup White Sugar
1 Beaten Egg
2 Tablespoons Butter, cut into cubes
1 1/4 Teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
3/4 Teaspoon Salt

Directions:
Place all ingredients into your bread machine, according to your manufacturer's instructions. Set on Dough setting, and let it do all the hard work. Once done, lightly flour your counter and turn out the dough. Cut in half, and then roll 1 half out about 1 inch thick circle. Using a 3-4 inch round cutter or glass, cut out rolls. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Once finished, brush the tops with melted butter and cover with clean towels. Let rise in a warm spot until doubled, about 1 hour *Tip* Turn your oven on to 200 degrees F for 1-2 minutes, then shut off and place the cookie sheets in there, remove before preheating to bake them.* Once risen, remove towels and bake at 350 degrees F for 9 minutes, or more. Until golden brown. To make hot dog buns, shape into logs.

Review:
Honestly, though I may need to seriously re-evaluate my life, I have to say these were pretty simple and easy. And though not as easy as buying the pre-made ones, they tasted SO much better and were definitely worth the effort! 5 Stars.


Comments

  1. I know exactly what you mean when you say "how difficult it is to put shoes and socks on 2 1/2 year old". So I can understand you decision and motivate. But a funny story nonetheless. Look at it this way, you learned a new hamburger bun recipe for future reference, just in case. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I agree with you - - I would much rather pull some ingredients from the cupboard and whip up a batch of rolls rather than: get dressed -a.k.a. put on something decent so I could go out in public, find the car keys, stop and get gas because my daughter probably left the tank empty, find a parking spot at the store, schlep through the store for the rolls, wait in line to pay, and then head back home. So, you are definitely not alone in your "laziness." I'm tired just thinking about it! (BTW - these rolls look delicious)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. You are so funny and not weird at all!! I am totally with Patty on her comment. I definitely would find making my own rolls far easier, but hey, we're cooks so it is fun for us too!!
    Got this one bookmarked!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny Kim...but those rolls look awesome, so it's worth the laziness of going to the store! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so with you on the shopping thing with a toddler!! I also go out of my way to never allow that to happen. And just as you, this is the reason why I make almost everything from scratch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That conversation sounds like something my husband and I would have :). I am like you, shopping with kids is not top on my favorites list. I was just thinking last night about trying to make homemade buns.These rolls sound fabulous and easy (especially with the bread machine). One less thing to have to worry about when at the store. These would be great to try as maybe hotdog buns too????maybe??????

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! I don't hate shopping, but I don't like purses so I'm afraid they'll take my girl card away too! We go through a LOT ofg burger & dog buns in the summer so I may just have to try your homemade recipe for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These rolls look so fluffy and delicious! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate it what you said about putting socks on a 2 1/2 years old. Been there done that:D It is tiring. Making buns is easier! LOL@

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha I totally get what you mean by being to lazy to go to the store so instead just making something from scratch! I feel you! Wonderful rolls. I always have to make my own rolls here because believe it or not Israel has no premade hamburger rolls!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love homemade hamburger buns! I am so bad, I will just eat those right out of the oven minus the burger haha...don't tell anyone ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This my first visiting here,and I can tell I'll be back again & again! Had to tell you, you will not believe this I did the same thing about 2 wks ago. Wanted to make burgers - no buns,soo too "Lazy" to go get some I made them! So you are not alone! My hubby also laughed and said that's "Lazy"? I cann't wait to try your recipe. Tina From Pa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ehehehehe....great post. ;) Homemade buns taste so much better to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saving this for trial! I am sold!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can see myself being lazy to go to the store but won't realize that it may take me longer to bake it myself. I remember the toddler stage so I understand what you were feeling at the time. Your roles look fab and I am sure they were much better than the store.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts