Corn Dog Bites

Corn Dog Bites, Adapted from Allrecipes.com

Good Morning y'all! I am so excited to share this recipe with you today, I've been holding onto it since Fathers Day just to share it for the Fourth of July weekend! You know when I asked my Hubby what he wanted to eat for his Fathers Day dinner this year a whole bunch of ideas went through my head, steak, burgers, essentially man food... So when he said "Corn Dog Bites" my brain went "WHAT?!?" Of course my little Sous Chef was quick to side with Daddy and agree that this was a must make meal and how come Mommy hadn't thought of it before. Well I'll tell you why... Because I've never made corn dogs before in my life. Ok sure, I've opened a box that was sitting in my freezer and zapped a few in the microwave on a busy night (go ahead and cringe... I know I am!) but to actually make them myself... Seemed daunting. And well, it was a little bit. I still have the marks on my hand from where the really hot oil burned me. But all in all I have to say this was a great success! They were delicious, cooked up incredibly fast, and were a HUGE hit with my boys!

I will say this, make them with a helper in the kitchen... Preferably an adult, and possibly your spouse. Someone who's not afraid of hot oil (which I now am... haha!) and willing to do the dipping of the dogs into the batter and dropping them into the oil, because you need a second person to also be flipping them in the oil as they really do cook incredibly fast. These would be so perfect for any Fourth of July Celebrations, they are total All-American Food and being bite sized make them a fantastic appetizer!

Ingredients:
1 quart oil for deep frying
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons bacon drippings
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 pounds hot dogs

Directions
Heat oil in a deep fryer or stock pot to 365 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix in melted bacon drippings and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Make a well in the center, and pour in the egg, buttermilk, and baking soda. Mix until everything is smooth and well blended. Pat the hot dogs dry with paper towels so that the batter will stick. Using 2 forks, dip the hot dogs in the batter one at a time, shaking off the excess, with the second fork gently push the coated hot dog off the first fork and into the oil. Deep fry a few at a time in the hot oil until they are browned and cooked evenly. Drain on paper towels, and serve warm.

Review:
5 stars, all the way 5 stars. Best corn dog I've ever had in my life!!! We used the leftover batter to just make fried corn dumplings which were delicious too! I highly recommend giving these a try!

Happy Cooking!
The Farmers Wife

P.S. Don't forget tomorrows Guest Post is Vera from Vintage Vera

Comments

  1. Well I am a big corn dog lover!! Can't get enough of them! I really like the sound of this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kim these are a perfect "kid" friendly food! (I am still a KID at heart)

    Looks good, cant wait to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try these out! My whole family will love them : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's truly an all-American, perfect 4th of July dish. I know my kids would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wahoo!..I am so glad you linked up!
    Thanks Kim, and I really cannot wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so tickled when I saw these. What a great treat to make for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love corn dogs bites but have never made them. How fun would this be?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love corn dogs and only get to have it when I go to the US. So deprived. I like this mini bites. They're like hot dog pops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love corn dogs and so does my son. I will have to give these a try, maybe I can get the toddler to eat them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I havent had a corn dog in years!! I do love them though. I may have to give these a try. They looks sooooo yummy! I love the bite sized pieces, makes a perfect cocktail party snack or appetizer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts