Sweet Potato Casserole

 Farmers Wife Original Recipe.

I actually created this dish for Easter this year. I love sweet potatoes, I grew up eating them at almost every holiday as they are a classic Southern Side dish. I remember some years my dad would go all out and add apples to it, or he'd go very simple with just a nut topping. We never had the same sweet potato dish twice. haha! But I'd honestly never cooked with them as an adult until now, I know I feel deprived too... I was so happy with how this turned out, especially since it was created by the seat of my pants and for my pickiest eater... My little Sous Chef, who as it turns out LOVED this dish! I highly recommend you give this a try for your next holiday feast!

Ingredients: serves 6, if really large potatoes

2 Large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 Tablespoons Butter or Margarine, cut into small cubes
2 Tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
Dash of Cloves


Topping:
1/2 cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Finely Chopped Pecans
4 Tablespoons Butter or Margarine, cut into small cubes (must be COLD)

Directions:
Peel and cube your sweet potatoes. Place in a stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook about 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Once done, drain and place in a large bowl. Add the butter and whipping cream, then using a potato masher or a fork, mash the potatoes until they are a creamy consistency. Then add in the maple syrup, brown sugar and spices, continue to mash and taste. Add more sweetness if desired. Place in a greased casserole dish and at this point you can either cover and refrigerate it til the next day, or proceed to the topping. To make the topping place all ingredients in a small bowl, and using a pastry blender or fork cut in the butter, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of casserole, and bake at 350F degrees for about 30 minutes, until topping is melted and forms a slight crust and casserole is warmed through. Serve warm.

Review:
This was just amazing! You know those foods where you take a bite and as you sink your teeth into it you close your eyes in pure ecstasy? Well that was how I felt about this! My boys loved it, and I can't wait to make it again! 4.5 stars.

The Farmers Wife

Comments

  1. Sweet Potatoes are my favorite vegetable, and these kind of recipes are the best way to make them. If anything, the picture doesn't do it justice, these were really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I just baked sweet potatoes and my kids are eating it..:)) I wish that I saw your post before..This sounds heavenly Kim!!!!
    Great recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I miss sweet potatoes! This looks really terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yeah! I think all sweet potatoes deserve a wonderful topping...and yours is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had a sweet potato casserole... thank you for this, Kim... I can't wait to dive into it!!

    BTW, LOVE that topping!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our family loves sweet potatoes. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh!! I love sweet potato casserole, and with the layers of toppings you have there I am totally ready to get my fix!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your casserole looks so good, especially with the crunchy topping.
    We love sweet potatoes, and eat them all year long in various ways, even grilled. Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Y'all are so sweet!! Thanks, We really loved these, if you can't tell from my hubby's comment! Isn't he the sweetest?!?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts