Baked Beans

Baked Beans, Farmers Wife Original
 I can't believe this week is half over already... I know I always say that, but it still astounds me how fast the week goes by. As you may already know I've been doing a series of Barbecue side dishes this week, and it just wouldn't be a good barbecue without baked beans!! Most of you, like me, probably grew up on the good ole' Bushes Original. And I have absolutely nothing against that delightful canned goodness, but I do like to try to make things myself sometimes and cut out the middle man. Now truthfully I was INCREDIBLY skeptical about making these... I don't think I've ever had homemade baked beans before, and truthfully I was surprised to learn that they are called baked beans because you actually do bake them! Lol! I know, I know, I'm a little dense sometimes, but all I'd ever seen was beans cooked (reheated) on the stovetop so how was I to know? I debated right up until the last minute on if I was even going to make these, I was just that nervous about it, but that first bite and wow... We were sold! They were so delicious and full of flavor, more so than any canned baked bean I've ever had, and we liked them so much I've made them more than once!

Ingredients:
2 cans Pork N Beans
1/3 lbs. Bacon
1/4 Onion, diced
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Molasses
1/8- 1/4 cup Mustard
1/2 cup Ketchup
1 1/2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
Dash of Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Directions:
In a skillet cook the bacon until crispy, once done remove and set aside. Cook the onion in the bacon grease, until translucent. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. In an 8x10 or 9x13 glass pan, pour your cans of beans. Then crumble the bacon and add to the beans. Once the onions are cooked add them and the grease to the beans, along with remaining ingredients and mix well. At this point you can taste test (the bacon is cooked, you're just baking the flavors together and making it thick) and add anything you feel is missing. Then cover and bake for 1 hour, removing the foil for the last 15-20 minutes of baking. Serve warm.

Review:
We really loved this, I think my hubby's exact words were "Wow... We're never buying canned again!" haha! 4.5 stars

Psst... This weeks Guest Poster is.... MY HUBBY!!! I'm so beyond thrilled for this post y'all, and I can't wait for you to get to know him a little better too! If you have a moment go check out his site, The Geeky Farmer.

Happy Cooking!
The Farmers Wife

Comments

  1. These look great. We love baked beans at my house and have them often because we do a lot of grilling. Your recipe is a lot like mine, too. Have a great weekend coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby would love this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've walked the earth for over 40 years and all I've ever eaten was canned baked beans, I thought they came out of the ground like that! LOL. But after seeing this recipe, I'm going to try to make me some at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I liked baked beans!! Everyone has such great recipes, but I just can't make myself eat them. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I LOVE baked beans and this recipe looks fantastic!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts