Korean Beef

Korean Beef, Family Recipe

Y'all know I like to make some of my childhood favorites, and sometimes even re-create them. Korean Beef is a dish my Mom used to make when we were kids, in fact I think she still makes it to this day. Don't ask me where this recipe originated, as I have NO idea, lol! However, this is one of very few dishes that I have not made any changes too. There's just something so delicious about this simple meal, that I just can't change a thing. As you know this is a rare thing for me, and at times I've actually had to battle that little voice in my head saying "play with it, you know you wanna!". But every time I sink my teeth into a big ole' bite of this I know I made the right decision to leave well enough alone!

Words alone really can't describe this dish, it is most likely different from anything you've had before. If you're thinking this is going to taste like Beef and Broccoli, you would be very wrong. You can add broccoli to this, or even snow peas (do those still exist? I haven't seen them in YEARS!) but we like it best with just the carrots, and let me tell you what... My boys ADORE those carrots! I've even started adding extra because we end up fighting over who got more carrots... haha! The recipe listed below is actually for double the sauce of the original recipe, because we love this sauce so much. If you're not a sauce person feel free to cut it in half, but in my house we are saucy... BAHAHA!! Sorry I just couldn't resist! ;-)

Ingredients:
1 lb. boneless beef top loin or sirlion steak (I buy the pre-sliced stir fry steak for this)
1/2 c. soy sauce
6 T. sugar (or Splenda)
4 T. vegetable oil
1/2 t. pepper
3-4 green onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2-3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
Cornstarch Slurry:
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Water

Directions:
Trim fat from beef; cut beef diagonally across grain into 1/8 inch slices (for ease in cutting, freeze partially for 1 1/2 hours).  Mix remaining ingredients; stir in beef and carrots until well coated. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. Cook the meat and carrots in 10 inch skillet or wok over medium heat until beef is cooked through and the carrots are soft. In a small container combine the cornstarch and water until it forms a white paste, add to the pan and let boil for a few minutes, this will thicken up the sauce. Serve beef with hot cooked rice. Serves 4.

Review: This is a very simple and yet utterly delicious meal! It's been a long time favorite in my family, and now I make it for my hubby and son and they love it just as much as I did growing up! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! 5 Stars.


Happy Cooking!


P.S. Don't forget to enter the GIVEAWAY!! It's ends tonight at 11:59pm, so enter while you still can!

Comments

  1. Oh, this looks wonderful! I make a similar Korean recipe with pork...it has the addition of fresh ginger. I need to try yours soon~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had Korean anything! This looks so good! I love all the flavors there, not sure why I have never experimented with this before. Going to make this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you have not made any changes to this dish... because it's fantastic! I bet I could do this with any kind of meat since I don't eat beef. I love the flavors!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good! I'm thinking it would taste awesome on some Jasmine rice, so I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts