Cranberry Orange Scones ~ Guest Post!


Hey y'all! I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I am for today's guest post! Some of you may have seen her comment on my blog a lot, and on the facebook. You know her as Marcia, but in reality she is my Mom! Growing up my Dad did a lot of the baking in my house, his Dad went to culinary school and taught my dad a lot about cooking. But my Mom was always there making our birthday cakes and dinner every night, and recently has been cooking and baking a lot more. I admit I'm a little sad I don't get to be there to taste all of her creations, because every time I talk to her my Mom starts telling me about her latest and greatest cooking experiment making me hungry! I did a silly Q&A with my Mom for this post, so y'all can get to know her just a little bit! I hope you enjoy!
 ______________________

Q&A With Marcia (The Farmer's Wife's Mom!)


1:# Tell us a little about yourself and your family, how long have you been married and a mom?
My name is Marcia, and I'm Kim's mom.  This is so exciting to be guest blogger on The Farmer's Wife.  I have been married to Paul (Kim's dad) for 27 1/2 years.  Kim is our oldest, she has a much younger brother, Zach, who is going to be a freshman in high school this fall.

#2: When did you first start cooking, and have you always enjoyed it?
I started cooking in high school.  My mother (Kim's Grandma) is an amazing cook and so is her father.  Also, I had a wonderful experience in high school with the most wonderful home economics teacher.  I haven't always loved cooking like those I mentioned, but I am currently unemployed and have always wanted to experiment with different scone recipes and now I have the time to do that.  

#3: If you could eat one thing every day what would it be?
Ha Ha, this is a funny question, and I'm sure Kim already knows what her mother will say.  Let's just say I have never met a chocolate I didn't like.  Confession! (My name is Marcia, and I'm a chocoholic)

#4: What inspired today's recipe?
I love scones and wanted to try different ones.  This is my second recipe of scones.  I had made a Maple Oatmeal Scone a few weeks ago, but these Cranberry Orange Scones are my favorite so far.  I do believe I will try next to make Lemon Blueberry Scones.

#5: How much arm twisting did your daughter do to get you to do this post? ;-)
HA HA, Kim, you are so cute.  I am not as talented as my beautiful daughter, but what can I say, I would do anything for my Kim.  She is an amazing daughter, wonderful wife, mother and big sister. 

Thanks Kim for letting me share this recipe. Give it a try and make yourself a nice cup of coffee to go with it and sit back and relax.


Cranberry Orange Scones

4 cups All Purpose Flour (with an extra 1/4 cup for later in the recipe)
1/4 cup of sugar
2 T of baking powder
2 t of salt
1 1/2 T of orange zest
3/4 pound of unsalted cold butter, diced
4 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup of heavy cream
1 cup of dried cranberries
1 egg slightly beaten with 1 t of heavy cream for egg wash
2 1/2 cups of powered sugar
8 t of orange juice

Preheat oven to 400F degrees.

In a large mixer blend flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest on lowest speed until blended then add cold diced butter on lowest speed until the butter is about pea sized.  Mix eggs and heavy cream together and add to mixer.  Mix until just blended.  The dough will look lumpy at this point.  In a small bowl put the 1/4 cup of flour and cranberries and coat the cranberries, then add to mixer and mix on lowest speed until blended.   Pour out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead to make sure completely together.  Flour rolling pin and roll out dough to about 3/4 inch thick and cut into squares and place on baking sheet, (I cover the baking sheet with either a Silpat sheet or parchment paper).  Beat egg and the teaspoon of heavy cream and brush the tops of the scones and sprinkle a little sugar onto each one.  Bake for 20 to 23 minutes or until tops are browned.  Remove from baking sheets and put on cooling racks for about 15 minutes to cool.  Mix the powdered sugar and orange juice to create glaze and drizzle over scones.    

_______________________


Thanks Mom so much for this delicious recipe and wonderful post! I am so honored to be able to have my Mom on this blog sharing with you all today. I hope you all enjoyed this post and recipe as much as I have. And please show my Mom some love in your comments! ;-)


Happy Baking!
Featured on: Everyday Mom's Meals

Comments

Popular Posts