Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Bars

Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Bars. Adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod

Happy Fall y'all! I know for most of you the weather has cooled and the leaves are beginning to change color, here in AZ I'm sad to say our temps are still in the 90's with no real end in sight. :-( That is probably the one thing I miss the most about living in the midwest is the fall season, the cooler weather, the beautiful leaves... And wearing sweaters which cover up my least favorite areas.... haha! But even with the warm temps here, my mind is on fall and all the delcious fall flavors. I've already cracked out my big ole' cans of pumpkin a couple times this season and my family is really enjoying it.

A few weeks back we had a farm dinner, and I was asked to bring the dessert. Now as a lot of you know I love to eat dessert... but don't always like to bake it... Baking is messy, and it takes so long, I get sick of it easily. But these bars were actually quite simple and I was able to bake them during my darling baby girl's morning nap! They were such a huge hit, and with 2 pans of these we only brought home about 4 bars!! I hope y'all with enjoy these, and I have to say I think they would be a great addition to your Thanksgiving tables this year, a nice break from the traditional desserts!

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon pumpkin-pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) margarine, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 package cinnamon chips (or could use chocolate chips)

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt; set aside. With a mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until smooth. Then add in egg and vanilla until combined. Add the pumpkin and mix well. The mixture will look slightly curdled. Reduce speed to low, and add in the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in cinnamon chips. Spread it evenly in the prepared pan. Bake bars for 35-40 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool bars completely in pan. Cut into squares and serve.

Review:
These really are just moist, almost cake like and very flavorful!!! You could frost them with a cream cheese frosting if you'd like, but they are decadent all on their own. We give this 5 stars.


Happy Fall!

Comments

Popular Posts