Super Simple Burritos

Super Simple Burritos, Farmers Wife Original

I am a self proclaimed burritoaholic... I love burritos... I love plain bean & cheese, or add some rice, or meat, or everything like at Chipotle... I'm obsessed with burritos! They are the quintessential Mexican food, they are GREAT on a budget, and they are delicious! So this recipe was a no brainer for me. (well... once I got past my brain being dead tired... lol)

This last week has been insanely busy in my house. And I am ashamed to admit we've eaten out 3 times this week (gasp! I know... but we had so many functions!) and by the time dinner rolled around most nights this past week I couldn't have cared less about dinner. But last night I was craving something fresh and homemade, but hadn't shopped in over a week so the picken's were slim. Finally after much debate I decided to make a new burrito filling that would hopefully please my little family, especially my 5 year old who has a bit of a cold. And let me tell you this was a HUGE hit with my picky eaters! My son ate 1 whole burrito, and my 1 year old daughter ate 1 1/2 burritos (yes, yes she did eat more than her brother... And no that is not because he is sick, it's normal... lol!) and me... Well let's not discuss how much I ate... haha! But it was Hubby approved and kid pleasing, which makes it a winner in my house! I hope y'all enjoy this as much as we did. (Oh and did I mention it was 30 minutes from start to on the table?!? No? Oh... Well it was!)

Ingredients:
1 Cup Long Grain White Rice (cooked according to package, but with 1 teaspoon taco seasoning)
1 Package Taco Seasoning
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Oil
1 1/2 lbs. Package Grilled Chicken Strips (The pre-cooked stuff is what I used, you can grill your own but it will add time)
1/4 White Onion, diced
1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
1 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed (or Pinto if you prefer)
1/3 Cup Salsa
1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
1-2 Cups Sharp Cheddar, shredded (I used about 1 1/2 cups, just add according to taste preferences)
2 Green Onion, diced
1/4 Cup Diced Tomatoes (I sliced 2 large slices off a beefsteak tomato and diced it up)

Directions:
Cook rice according to package, but add 1 teaspoon taco seasoning to the water while cooking. In a large skillet heat the oil, and saute the white onion and garlic. Meanwhile dice up the chicken strips into bite sized pieces, then add to the hot pan with the remaining taco seasoning and cinnamon. Cook until heated through, then add the black beans, salsa and lime to the pan, mix well. Once the rice is fully cooked, add it to the pan with the chicken and mix well. Add the cheese, green onions and tomato and heat til the cheese is melted. Serve on warmed tortilla's with sour cream, more salsa or any other toppings you like.

Review:
This was SO easy and full of flavor, while not being overly spicy either. The cinnamon added a nice smokey hint without detracting from the other flavors. I like mine with a bit of sour cream, adds a nice creamy flavor  to the burrito. You can kick the heat up by adding green chillies or jalapeno's if you want, but since I was feeding the kiddos I didn't add it to ours. The leftovers of this heat up nicely, and are GREAT the next day! 5 stars.

Happy Cooking!

Comments

Popular Posts