Apple Cranberry Oatmeal

Apple Cranberry Oatmeal, Farmers Wife Original

It probably won't come as a surprise to many people that I'm posting 2 breakfast recipes in one week. But you know me and I LOVE breakfast foods! And with the holidays fast approaching... (Yes I realize that one is this Thursday... lol!) we can all use some healthier breakfast options after all the pumpkin pie we're about to consume.

This last week my hubby has been home a lot due to massive amounts of rain keeping them out of the fields, and when he's home I like to experiment with recipes. Well I've been playing around with oatmeal for a long time and this last week I made up a recipe my WHOLE family liked, and that is saying something since some of my family isn't huge on oatmeal. Now this recipe is something you could easily adjust to fit your taste. More sugar if you like it sweeter, or less if you like it more tart. Either way, it's fabulous, fast and easy!

Ingredients: yeilds 2 serving sizes, which actually fed all 4 of my family members
1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled and diced
1/4 cup Fresh Cranberries
1 3/4 cup Water
1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

Directions:
Put your water in a medium saucepan and allow it to come to a boil. Once it starts boiling add in the diced apple and the cranberries. Allow to cook for about 3 minutes, or until the berries have popped and the apples are softening. Add the oats, spices and sugar and stir. Allow the mixture to cook, stirring often for 5-6 minutes. Then cover and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Serve warm, with milk or however you like your oatmeal.

Review:
We give this 4.5 stars. My family loved it, my kids gobbled it up and so did I, my hubby said he'd like it more tart next time but otherwise loved it!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

Popular Posts