Hamburger Vegetable Barley Soup


Hamburger Vegetable Barley Soup, Family Recipe

Happy 2014 y'all! I hope you all had a fabulous holiday season and that this new year is treating you well! Our holidays were very busy, but for the most part good. We've got a lot coming up in the coming year, most of it incredibly exciting! For those that don't follow me on facebook, my Brother in Law is getting married this March and we're so excited for him!! His Fiance just happens to be one of my closest friends so it's extra awesome for me, but being Matron of Honor has me busier than a bee!!! Plus my dearest and oldest friend in the universe is getting married just 2 months later in May and we're planning a big trip to be there for that! So please forgive me if I'm absent a lot, life is a bit ahead of me at the moment.

But this recipe cannot wait!! It's an oldie but goodie, and I don't know about you but I'm tired of big heavy meals and ready for some lighter eating. Recently I've lost about 20lbs over the last 5 months by trying to eat lighter, and so far it's working! And this soup is not only delicious, but it's not full of fat, since it's mostly veggies. Our family loves this soup, even my kiddos. And it's going to be a huge hit at my future Sis's Bridal Shower next weekend. (I hope anyway... lol!) So if you're tired of heavy meals, and want a delicious soup I hope you'll give this a try!

Ingredients:
1 lbs. Ground Beef
6 cups Beef Broth
2 cups Sliced Carrots
1 1/2 cups Coarsely Chopped Celery
1/2 cup Coarsely Chopped Green Pepper
1/3 cup Barley
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
2 Bay Leaves
1/4 cup Ketchup
2 8 oz. cans (3 cups total) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 8 oz. can Tomato Sauce

Directions:
In a 5 quart Dutch Oven or stock pot, brown ground beef, drain; stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until Vegetables and barley are tender. Remove bay leaves. Serve hot with a big chunk of french bread or your favorite rolls.

Review:
This was one my favorites growing up, always reminded me of Grandma's house. I was surprised this was so well received by my hubby, but he loved it! It's super easy, and totally delicious! It also freezes really great. 4.5 Stars.


 Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular Posts